Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

More new additions- Cynops pyrrhogaster (sasayame)

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Just over a week ago Eva (Evut) brought me my newest additions, four tiny little Cynops pyrrhogaster (sasayame).
I had resisted acquiring any more species as I have no room.....but its amazing how when gently persuaded you can just about squeeze another tank into your home. Their future home takes pride of place in our lounge, right next to where I tend to sit. They are presently in their nursery while their tank matures.
I did have problems with their feeding, they just would not eat. The nursery tank is shallow water with about 2 cm of water, lots of water moss and an island. I put in a bag of daphnia and I hope this is what they where snacking on. I had offered chopped earthworm, but suspect only one was eating the odd bit. The biggest one was separated at one feed time as I was wondering if it was putting the others off...but no joy. Two nights ago I offered defrosted blood worm, again these where not touched. This actually suited me just fine as I did have an allergic reaction to them, if they had eaten them I would have persevered.
Last night I again offered them chopped earthworm( I left them bigger this time so that they wriggled more ), some baby worms and some small white worms that have bred in my wormery as well . As I was returning the lid to their box I noticed a few of the worms where making a brake for freedom, so I put a glass food dish on top to slow the worms down. Later I peered in at them and saw two of the tiny newts on top of the dish , looking into the bowl. I hoped that they could use some newty sense and actually go in and feed.
Lunch time today I looked in their bowl and most of the worms had gone. 3 of the 4 newtlets have little round tummies. I am so relieved that they are at last feeding .
Anyway, I took some photo's the other day of them on their cork bark..they blended in beautifully and escaped at every opportunity. Taking pictures was far more challenging than usual.:D

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 330
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 286
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 265
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 286
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Re: More new additions

They are looking great!!!
It´s frustrating when they are picky, but i don´t think you have nothing to worry about. It´s quite normal when they are in a new environment. They require patience, but they eventually become blood thristy eating machines. Mine go mental for springtails, you may want to give them a try to entice the smaller ones to eat.
I hope you have room for future additions :p

They trully are looking wonderful, Eva has done a great job! How big are they?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

They are all approx. 5cm in length. The ones that are darker are more solid in build and seem more keen to feed. The ones that have more orange are more delicate and slim, these ones really worried me when they seemed so reluctant to feed . Hopefully they are now over this.
I'll have a look and see about the springtails. I have just received a delivery of smaller earthworms, so I am hoping that they tuck into these tonight.
There is still plenty of room for more little additions :wink:

zoezakella

Reaction score

cute cute cute Julia :D

Same as mine darker one is fatter, orange one slimmer!!

Mine also took quite a few weeks to feed found it VERY frustrating and worrying but now happily eat worms and bloodworm (still not mass amounts but enough to keep me happy)!

So what are there names or shall I let Zak & Ella loose on yours aswell (quick name them before I do they will end up with care bear names I bet you)!! xx

evut

Reaction score

I am really glad to hear they are now eating, hopefully they will grow fast :happy:

As I said before to Zoe and Julia, the two types (dark=chubby, orange=not so chubby) must be from different mothers because they were raised from eggs from both of my girls. I have worried at times about the orange ones but all of them seem to be doing well, they are just not as plump but grow well.
I haven't had much luck with defrosted bloodworms so far, only occasionally one gets taken from tweezers. I will definitely keep trying. When they start eating those, they will learn to feed from a tissue and that can make life easier, mainly when I go away and someone else has to feed them, or when it's dry and there are no worms. They will also follow the smell into water which can encourage them to go aquatic.

Good luck with your pyrrhos, Julia!

zoezakella

Reaction score

I am really glad to hear they are now eating, hopefully they will grow fast :happy:

As I said before to Zoe and Julia, the two types (dark=chubby, orange=not so chubby) must be from different mothers because they were raised from eggs from both of my girls. I have worried at times about the orange ones but all of them seem to be doing well, they are just not as plump but grow well.
I haven't had much luck with defrosted bloodworms so far, only occasionally one gets taken from tweezers. I will definitely keep trying. When they start eating those, they will learn to feed from a tissue and that can make life easier, mainly when I go away and someone else has to feed them, or when it's dry and there are no worms. They will also follow the smell into water which can encourage them to go aquatic.

Good luck with your pyrrhos, Julia!

my little guys are eating bloodworm from a tissue :D

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

Managed to take a few photo's today. I had changed their set-up to being more land than water as I was away for a week. I have increased their water a little more as one of the larger ones is making more use of it.
Their permanent tank is looking good, the plants are (unusually for me ) thriving. I have an increasing population of snails , which I am gradually removing. Also there is three cloud minnow, which I will probably move out when the newts are ready to move in.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 260
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 272
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 255
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 207

RobM

Reaction score

:D You finally gave in!
I wish the eggs I was sent had survived! Good luck with these guys.

evut

Reaction score
It's nice to see the little guys :happy:
I only have 2 left now - the first (famous orange) one and the last tiny one. Neither of them is interested in water and they are not the greatest eaters...but they are doing fine, everything is just a bit slow with them.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Three of the four now happily spend time in the water. The largest is 2 inches from nose to tail.
Their current home has about 2 inches of water, plus an island where I still supply food. I think they are getting closer to being able to move into their big tank. Just need to sort out a screen lid and small land area.

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 261
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 238
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 236
  • 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 479

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
One of these little guys is considerably smaller than the rest, maybe up to a third of the size of the largest. I had separated him for about six weeks to try and get him bulked up, but it made no difference, except for spending just over a week refusing to eat due to the stress. Eva, came to visit yesterday and joined me , fretting about the little guy. Last night I saw him eat a worm, probably bigger than himself. It was an epic battle which involved falling off the leaf into the water on a few occasions and having to swim back again pursued by his biggest brother....eventually he was able to swallow the whole worm. This morning he looks like a small barrel.:bowl:

Attachments

• Pyrrho 001.jpg
    Pyrrho 001.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

evut

Reaction score
That's great news - and must have been great fun to watch!
Hope the little one can catch up with its siblings soon.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I noticed that my two males have been busily fanning one another for a month or so. Eva ( Evut) has kindly brought me a pretty little female...... despite a day of interest, their attenions have returned to each other. I hadn't realised they had developed such odd colouration as their tank is slightly dim, the pics aren't great :(

Attachments

• Caudates 008.jpg
    Caudates 008.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 244
  • Caudates 013.jpg
    Caudates 013.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 277

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
And that´s nothing, wait until their second year! The crazy colours really kick in their second season, but you can tell those two are going to be lookers, they already look fantastic.
They grow fast, don´t they? Once they get to a certain size they start inhaling food and bulking up.
They are young and foolish but they may very well breed successfully, so i hope you are ready xD

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Seeing as I have been playing with a rediscovered camera...here are a couple of pics :D
The picture of the male is not wildly exciting, but they are excellent at avoiding the camera. I am not too enamoured with the males, all lumpy, bumpy and covered in slashes of blue :uhoh: The two females are still looking well rounded, hopefully when they temperatures rise in their tank I will find oodles of eggs :D

Attachments

• P1030373.jpg
    P1030373.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 299
  • P1030375.jpg
    P1030375.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 226

evut

Reaction score
At least it's easy to tell the males from the females with this species ;) I personally love the blue colouration. One of mine even has a very funky face decoration. Be prepared for the girls to get even bigger, they tend to turn into little barrels with legs and tails during the breeding season.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Managed to catch a few pictures of one of my males :D

Attachments

• P1030549.jpg
    P1030549.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 237
  • P1030554.jpg
    P1030554.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 214
  • P1030555.jpg
    P1030555.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 223
  • P1030560.jpg
    P1030560.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
He is a beauty Julia! Those silvery blue body highlights are very striking.
Heather

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
My daughter is on a mission to take some pictures of these, they sit next to me beside the sofa so they are rather visible.

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 188
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 183
  • Mobile 019.jpg
    Mobile 019.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know how I haven't found this tread before while searching, They're lovely animals, so much blue already! I think sometimes the blue/purple is accentuated in photographs, mine always seem brighter on film anyway. I hope your daughter gets the money shot, mine seem to like playing up for the camera :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!