Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Morphing axie care sheets or similar ?

Ange

Reaction score
Oh I'm a little stressed, I'm sure it's staring straight at me but I can't find it for looking, sorry, but could any one give me some links to the care of a morphing axolotl please? I know there are wonderful care sheets on here but at this moment in time I'm lost & my search queries are just not giving me the threads or info I need. Thank you in advance for taking the time to point me in the right direction :)

Ange

Reaction score
I'm really not sure, what do you think? There are 8 other adult axis in this tub, it is a large grow tub but 2 are looking like this, the others are all very healthy, quite plump with their gills as normal, but this one & one other are looking like this. The water parameters are good, I have been very particular with their feeds, temps & cleaning but no matter what I did the changes continued. Could it be something else? Any suggestions will be welcome. I am in Australia & as far as I know the animals here are not prone to morphing & if it can be reversed I would prefer that as I don't have any experience with axolotls not being totally aquatic.

Attachments

• IMG_2665[1].jpg
    IMG_2665[1].jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 831
E

Elise

I think you may need to take a few more pictures of your axolotls submerged. Seeing them underwater would make the dorsal crest, limbs, and gills easier to see.

Ange

Reaction score
It is difficult as the tub is not clear to take photos through, I have tried to get other angles so I hope these help, this is Twinkle Toes, she is the other one, she is not so far along as Squirt though.

Attachments

• IMG_2672[1].jpg
    IMG_2672[1].jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_2675[1].jpg
    IMG_2675[1].jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_2676[1].jpg
    IMG_2676[1].jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 223

Ange

Reaction score
Angle from the top & the tub they are in.

Attachments

• IMG_2679[1].jpg
    IMG_2679[1].jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_2681[1].jpg
    IMG_2681[1].jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 159

Charlotl

Reaction score
If they are indeed morphing (I cannot confirm that yours are b/c I have no experience with my own doing this) make sure they have something to sit on near the surface to help them breathe. Once the gills, nubs and all, are completely gone then they are essentially a weird colored tiger salamander and can be treated as such.

Ange

Reaction score
Thank you so much for all your help peoples. I will now go & study all I can about tiger salamanders so I am prepared for what happens next, Thank you again :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!