Mosquitos larve as food

chaimdov

Reaction score
Country
United States
A few hundred different eggs hatched this week and all my local pet stores were out of live food. In a forgotten corner of my yard I found a swimming pool swarming with mosquitos. I fed them to axolotls and they loved them. I fed them to IRN, and it went great. I fed them to Danubes, Alpines...you get the idea. Well then I fed them to Anatolians, and they wont touch the mosquito larve. Now I have two well planted and established fish tanks. Each with a few dozen week old Anatolians and hundred of mosquito larve. The larve grow fast, and are now much too big for the Anatolians to eat even if they wanted to. I tried getting a week water current, but the mosquitos were not affect. I tried methylene blue, also no effect. Any idea how to get rid of the mosquitos without hurting the Anatolians?

chaimdov

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you so much for your help. My 11 year old son is raising these newts. I spent THREE hours trying. Literally there are hundred of young anatolians mingling with the mosquitos. The tanks are well planted with many floating plant. If I take the tank apart, I can not put it back together. Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
Could you borrow some guppy fish from anyone for a day? It's tricky with the newts being so small as you say. The other thing would be to net off the top of the tank and wait for the emerging mozzies to get trapped. if you check a couple of times a day and kill any that are flying around under the net they should be all gone before they can lay eggs. Killing them with any kind of chemical is probably impossible without killing the newts as well, Mosquito larvae are almost bulletproof and can survive in heavily polluted water, there's only the most toxic treatments that are any good against them!

xxianxx

Reaction score
Country
Wales
Display Name
nai live
You could try endlers rather than guppies, they are a bit smaller and pose less of a risk than guppies. Not 100% sure of the life cycle of mossies but doesn't the female need to feed before laying ? If so break the cycle by netting the tank so they can't

chaimdov

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just wanted to update. The mosquito problem is solved. I raised the water level by a third. I put in a bubbler and the mosquitos moved to the opposite corner of the tank. I was able to catch the big mosquitos and the anatolians took care of the small ones. After hours of catching mosquitos the newts started working with me. I would net at the top, and the newts would wait under the net and catch the ones that dived. Thanks for all your help.

ntny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
ntny
hello guys

recently there are Frozen mosquito larva as fish food available
i read from the URL link below as it seems mosquito larva are much more nutritious than bloodworms, tubifex worms or black worms

https://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods2.shtml

Mosquito larvae 42.2 16.1 0.79 1.07 0.73 1
Calcium levels looks pretty decent for mosquito larva at 0.79
can anyone confirm this? i am thinking to use them as stable food for aquatic species

thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • lvlyvoa:
    hey thank you all so much for your help!! i shouldn't have been so careless, but I love my axie very much and her behaviour has improved as I have started a tank cycle and gotten some good food for her
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    @lvlyvoa, good to hear, np. They love nightcrawlers and worms if you have access to them, they're the healthiest thing they can eat since they're a complete prey
    +1
    Unlike
  • BrodieBAxolotls:
    hey, does anyone have any brine shrimp eggs??
    +1
    Unlike
  • liz.:
    i do!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    My axolotls were doing fine until the cycle int heir tank crashed. I currently have them tubbed and they wont stop shedding their slime coat, and my golden albino looks a little red, and his gills dont look too good. Theyre both flaoting and im keeping the tub at 18 degrees celsius and doing 100% water changes everyday, any help on anythingelse? can anyone help?
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    @Jaeger I would try to double up on Prime to combat the slime coat shed when doing the 100% water changes. Also, if it's bad, might want to consider a tea bath as a preventive measure.
    +2
    Unlike
  • AxolotlMama:
    I just wrote this on the post ^
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Haha, great minds, right?
    +2
    Unlike
  • AxolotlMama:
    They sure do 😄!
    +2
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    @AkemiYousei thanks so much. Will do. I have also given them a tea bath before, seems to work their gills are looking so much healthier, my golden albino is swimming around frantically trying to jump out, should i be worried? my wild type is fine
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Might be the stress, or the shedding bothering it
    +1
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Make sure s/he can't jump out, and maybe keep her in a undisturbed, darkened place for a bit. See if that calms the goldie.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KOsika has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    I woke up to my golden axolotl covered complete white. what do i do
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    Just found out, hes dead. :(
    +1
    Unlike
  • mcapanema:
    :'(
    +1
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    @Jaeger, Oh no! Sorry to hear. :(
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxelTheAxolotl123:
    my axolotl has white balls on its gills and the feathers have shrunk
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jasper2021:
    We have an axolotl called Jasper who is approx 3 years old. He was being attacked by his companion so we separated them. He has healed his wounds now but has got very thin. his lips have turned black. he was just looking still and dead at times but ears moved so we knew he was still alive. Hold earthworms right in front of him which after some time he will take you think good he is eating but then it pops straight out again. At the moment he is in the fridge. Not sure what else to do if he can't or won't eat !!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Wyn1993:
    Hi Jasper 2021,
    +1
    Unlike
  • Wyn1993:
    I am new to axolotls myself and one thing I learnt was that earth worms when in distress give off an awful taste - have you tried live river shrimp? Mine really like these and are always happy to 'bite' - I also give them live crickets and pellets which are really pungeant in smell and they always take these - even wait at the glass for them! So sorry to hear he was being attacked by his companion!
    +1
    Unlike
    Wyn1993: I am new to axolotls myself and one thing I learnt was that earth worms when in distress give... +1