Votes: 6 2.6%

• Total voters

jAfFa CaKe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Jake
Moss Balls, do you like them? Please vote and reply if you want.

Reactions: sde

Kaini

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love them. They're super easy to care for as far as live plants go and seem to help the levels in the tank. My lotl likes climbing on his :)

auntiejude

Reaction score
Country
England
It's not whether I like them or not, it's whether my axies like them....

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Country
United States
My axolotls keep moving all the moss balls into the caves.

jAfFa CaKe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Jake
I don't have any, yet, but I think I might get some soon, are they good for axie eggs to stick on to?

auntiejude

Reaction score
Country
England
I don't have any, yet, but I think I might get some soon, are they good for axie eggs to stick on to?
I've had eggs on the plastic plants, the ornaments, the hides, the filter inlet, the airline pipe, the airstone itself (WTF?!) the floor, and I swear they would lay eggs on each other if they sat still for long enough. But not on the moss balls.

Tephra

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
My golden axie likes to lay her eggs on the 3D aquarium background. It's hell to get them off of there :lame:

bugdozer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a moss ball in my tropical fish tank. It requires zero care and is thriving. I do know someone who had a moss ball and it started to disintegrate and clog her filter though, so beware.

Ripley

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have caught several of my Axies lounging on the moss balls I have in their tank and have even seen Ripley push one around till it was out of his way.

VegasMudd

Reaction score
Country
United States
My moss ball is huge so they try and put in in their hides but it doesn't fit, always seems to be in front of a hide. They also steal strands of hornwort and frogbit to line their hides with. Its a daily struggle on my part since I want the plants to survive.

jlobello

Reaction score
Country
United States
I should be getting 15 large moss balls at the end of the month..can't wait to give a few to my axie. The others I am keeping as Marimo balls in their own habitats.. ;)

EmbryH

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Embry
I have nothing against moss balls, and am in fact tempted to get a couple, but I just had to choose the last polling option...

Ripley

Reaction score
Country
United States
I also have them in my large fish tank the frogs love playing with them and laying on them.

Attachments

Smoxolotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Mike
Moss balls make great filters! Just wring them out like a sponge, especially after just purchasing them, then hand roll them back into a nice shape and return to water. I couldn't believe the amount of gunk that mine had in them when I first got them! Some people even string them together and make a floating filter chain. When they get large, divide, and repeat the process. Works great for my tanks!:happy:

fireball99

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
My axie's moss balls lasted a few days before it was in bits and only the plastic thing that holds the moss together was left. I'd bought my axie it as a toy he could shove around the place but he didn't seem impressed.

I ended up giving him a little ball which he seems to prefer. You'll see in the photos he liked to pose both standing one footed on the ball, and also leaning on it with his arm at a jaunty angle, like an old uncle about to tell you an amusing story from his youth...

Attachments

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • KarateKid08:
    I am wanting a spotted or tiger salamander and I was wondering how often to feed, what the best feeders would be and how many fed per feeding session.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtboi:
    Can I has alpine newts pls
    +1
    Unlike
  • ndbug:
    Any ambystoma breeders looking for californiense
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    does anybody have any information on homemade baby axolotl food?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Naxuzi:
    Hey guys I was wondering if my axolotl looks fine to you he/she (still don’t know) I’d activate and eating as usual but I did notice veins in the tail area.. let me know what you guys think! Also if anyone could tell if it’s a boy or girl that would be great! (Zolo was eating a worm and pretty sure the worm pooped XD)
    +2
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    Where can I find a yellow western tiger
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Eleven11 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Eleven11 has joined the room.