Most active newts?

oxydoras

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey, I’m thinking about getting a first newt, but I want one that will be more active(swimming around the tank like a water monitor or other semi-aquatic lizard would) opposed to just sitting on the bottom. I’m looking for something that will generally need mostly water but will also appreciate a land area(although I’m flexible with this part and it can be only aquatic if need be) and relatively easy to keep. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I keep alpine newts, and find that they are fairly active and visible. I keep them aquatic all year, but they do have a cork float that they don’t use. There is lots of aquatic vegetation for them to rest on.

I agree with Herpin Man on the Alpines (also kept aquatically w/ lots of floating plants). Another active newt is the Smooth Newt (Lissotriton vulgaris) - always something they want to explore in their domain!

I keep alpine newts, and find that they are fairly active and visible. I keep them aquatic all year, but they do have a cork float that they don’t use. There is lots of aquatic vegetation for them to rest on.
Nice, I've heard of alpine newts, but they seem to be relatively uncommon in the hobby where I am unless I do some digging. Are they particularly difficult to keep?

No. They are extremely easy, but like any other herp species, there are a few things that have to be done properly. Cool temperatures, clean cycled water, secure lid, etc.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back