Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Move to garage for winter cooling

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This weekend I moved my 4 Neurergus tanks to the garage for winter cooling. Overnight they dropped from 16C (60F) to 9C (48F).

This picture shows 3 of the tanks. The fourth was placed afterward in the small space remaining on the left.

jennewt-albums-neurergus-picture31614-newt-tanks-garage-winter-cooling.jpg

They like being cold, and really got busy quick: the next morning I found spermatophores in the strauchii tank!:D (The spermatophores are the two white dots in the photo. The female seems to be eying one of them.)

jennewt-albums-neurergus-picture31613-neurergus-strauchii-put-garage-9c-48f-next-morning-spermatophores.jpg

velasco13000

Reaction score
Lucky you :) What is the coldest that it gets where you live? I live in Chicago and it gets below freezing here sometimes..I live in the basement and its generally colder and I have my newt room in the bathroom and theres a window that I can crack open in case I need it to get colder. I also have newts in my room where the temp is 60-70 top. My question is if I should move my younger newts to my warmer room because I noticed that their appetite has slowed down a bit or should I just keep them in the colder room?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the past 10 years our coldest outdoor temperature was -28C(-20F). The air temp rarely drops below freezing in the garage, and moving water won't freeze right at the freezing point, so it would have to go below freezing in order for a tank to freeze.

donsturtles

Reaction score
i'm glad for this information and good to know
sorry i can not offer any insight on this. but i am glad to found a site about newts.

naeff002

Reaction score
I just put my strauchii in my newt shed to. The temperature are now around 8C. I hope for the same result as with you.

Natalie

Reaction score
Lucky you :) What is the coldest that it gets where you live? I live in Chicago and it gets below freezing here sometimes..I live in the basement and its generally colder and I have my newt room in the bathroom and theres a window that I can crack open in case I need it to get colder. I also have newts in my room where the temp is 60-70 top. My question is if I should move my younger newts to my warmer room because I noticed that their appetite has slowed down a bit or should I just keep them in the colder room?

I would suggest keeping them warmer until their older from what I've been told.

Natalie

Reaction score
In your 4 tanks, do you have all 4 species? If so, are they all adults? I keep juvinille Neurergus crocatus, and the breeders(not some idiot from a pet shop, told me the conditions they had been succesful with. They told me that the young have a hard time surviving because most people try to keep them too cold. They had success keeping them between 22 and 24C! Curious to hear from anyone who keeps N. crocatus. Of course it would be easier keeping them in the shed outside.

This weekend I moved my 4 Neurergus tanks to the garage for winter cooling. Overnight they dropped from 16C (60F) to 9C (48F).

This picture shows 3 of the tanks. The fourth was placed afterward in the small space remaining on the left.

jennewt-albums-neurergus-picture31614-newt-tanks-garage-winter-cooling.jpg

They like being cold, and really got busy quick: the next morning I found spermatophores in the strauchii tank!:D (The spermatophores are the two white dots in the photo. The female seems to be eying one of them.)

jennewt-albums-neurergus-picture31613-neurergus-strauchii-put-garage-9c-48f-next-morning-spermatophores.jpg

Molch

Reaction score
cute! I hope you told those females where to stick those spermatophores, as they look like they would rather eat them for lunch ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1