Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mudpuppy concerns

KSELF

Reaction score
I recently received a mudpuppy at a biology teacher's convention. She was in a tupperware container in a convention hall for a week with three smaller Necturus. I've had her home for a week now, all of her filaments fell out the first day, she pooped the second day, and hasn't eaten anything. I have offered her redworms on three separate occasions. She will bite the worms, spit them out and then swim away, leaving the worms to die a slow, wiggly death. There was a dead crayfish in the tupperware with her but I haven't seen any in the pet stores around here. Her water is a constant 64 F and there is an in-tank filter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay Redbond

Reaction score
Hello,

When I first got mine one of them didn't eat for a month, I tried her on all sorts of food items. Once she swallowed the first item I didn't have a problem with her after that. Try some whitebait that worked for me, if that doesn't work make sure all the conditions of the tank are correct as it may be stress related from the conditions. However as I said one of mine didn't eat and I think it was a wild court animal that was stressed from the move so it could be that and it just needs to settle in.

Let me know how you get on.

Kind regards
Jay

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1