Multicoloured eggs?

Waenara

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I will post pictures soon, my axies are having their first set of eggs. So far there is about 40. Most of the eggs are black but some look like a mix between black and white.
Are those going to be multicoloured? Like mosaics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, that is just normal egg appearance at this point. So, while maybe you will have a mosaic, it isn't indicated by the egg color.

Unfortunately, that is just normal egg appearance at this point. So, while maybe you will have a mosaic, it isn't indicated by the egg color.

Will leucistic axolotls be white when they are first laid or do they turn white?

Also my Axolotl only laid about 60 eggs, is that normal or is she just taking a break?

All you can tell from the egg color is the color of the mother. Albino mothers lay white eggs.

Leucistics that hatch from dark-colors eggs start off dark and gradually "lose" their color. The pigment will gradually get isolated to the top of their head and along their spine. I'm not sure how it goes for leucies with albino mothers.

I've only had two spawning by my own axolotls, so I'm not sure how common it is to either take a break or to stop at 40. Both of the spawning by my axolotls, the mother was laying for a bit over a day and laid several hundred eggs each.

What colors are the parents?

The mom is a leucistic with silver/blue eyes
And the dad is a wild type with copper eyes

I thinking she might be just tired. She doesn't have front legs, she just never grew them. So it is probably a lot harder for her.
acc55087bedbfcc8e185514cad8b20bc.jpg
e6b5f20f22853b9f80741882ffd51286.jpg

It is hard to say for sure what the babies will be without knowing more about the grandparents, etc. There is a good chance they will be all wild.

Given the mother's defect, you should not breed her. Also, it stresses the mother to lay eggs too often (can shorten their lives), so you should separate them. A tank divider usually works, but I have heard that sometimes the male's spermatophores manage to get across the divider and you get eggs anyhow.

Can I just take the spermatophores out?

No. Usually, the female follows the male over them when he is putting them down. Unless you want to play "axolotl chaperon" 24/7? :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back