Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

my axie has freckles ? urgent help needed as I am off on holidays tomorrow

llekias

Reaction score
My poor little girl Lilly today started to look unwell
she is pure white black eyes and this morning I noticed her tail looking slightly reddish with some very small blood spots. The other thing she has is what I can only descibe as looking like freckes on her face tiny tiny little brown marks.
She hasnt been too interested in her food the last few days either
I popped her into the fridge as I read that was a good place for her to heal and she does look a little better already.

Is there any more he can do for my poor little girl.
Her tank is very clean the temp a little higher than I think she likes sitting around 22 degrees, could this be the problem?
The other axie is looking well and feeding well from the same tank and the water is lovely and clear.
I have asked my father to look after her as I am off on holidays tomorrow with the family and he is taking her to his place.

My father will be looking on this site for any advice as he has not had axies before although he loves animals and will be very dedicated carer for her.
Should Dad try to feed her while she is unwell ?

Any advice gratfully received.

Also for your info she was an outside axie in a pond until a few weeks ago when I was (now it seems wrongly) advised was too cold for her.

My father has an outside pond he can put her into if that is a better solution.

Thank you in advance for any help

Lorraine

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Lorraine,

Fridging your axie is a good idea. How long are you going away for? I would like you to read through these two links.

http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/vacation_care.shtml

http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/Fridging.shtml

Follow any instructions there closely.

If you are going away for a week or two, you can fridge your axie the entire period until you return. Just remember to perform 100% daily water changes with clean dechlorinated water that is prepared and kept in the fridge. Fridging allows your axie to be closely monitored and fed. In addition, it has the benefit of safeguarding your axie against excessive heat. As the axie is in a tub, it would also be easier for management compared to siphoning a bigger main tank.

You may continue to feed your axie live blackworms and chopped earthworms while being fridged. Remove any uneaten food promptly.

Your axie is a leucistic so they sometimes have markings on their faces like freckles. That is normal.

Could you provide photos of the blood spots?

I do not recommend you put the axie in an outdoor pond. Besides risking parasites, there are predators like birds, cats, rats and possums around.

Cheers.

llekias

Reaction score
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

thank you for the very prompt rely
I am off for 1 week and I feel just awful :( leaving poor lilly while she is ill.
I am now wondering if I should fridge the other axie as a precaution as my house sitter is a little
wary / unsure of the axies ... she thinks they look scary ....
My son was going to come over daily to care for the axies and feed them but as he is working days I think dad is the far better option to axie sit...

So should I fridge them both at my fathers or leave the well axie in her tank as is ?

sorry for so many questions I just feel bad leaving when my Lilly is unwell.

Thank you
Lorraine

photos below
ps freckling seems to have gone on her face since she been in fridge the last 7 hrs

o
004-21.jpg

007-18.jpg

005-22.jpg

llekias

Reaction score
ps the bowl is clean the marks u can see are is the lid misting under the bowl reflecting back :sick:

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Lorraine,

In terms of being practical and for ease of managment. I would recommend fridging both axies for 1 week in individual seperate tubs and place them in your dad's care. Having your dad as the pet sitter will make the routine care more consistent.

Do go over with him how you wish your axie to be cared for during the week you are away. Write up a list of instructions. Since you are going away only for 1 week, you don't really have to feed them during this period. Feed them when you return. Overfeeding/fouling the water is much more of a problem than not being fed for a week while fridged.

No freckling seen, so that is one worry off. The blood spots do seem very localised along the dorsal border edge of the tail crest. To be honest, i don't exactly know what this is. I have not encountered such a clinical presentation before. As the tail crest (fin) is very friable and delicate, tears are common. The vessels also tend to be very small capillaries and seldomly show up as such prominent huge blood spots. This is unlikely to be an external physical trauma case as there are no tears along the tail crest to support the bruising. My differential at this point is actually a possible early onset of an internal systemic infection. Sometimes blood spots appear first with some bacterial infections.

Fridging will be very beneficial if this is the case, hence it will tie in nicely.

Cheers.

llekias

Reaction score
wow thank you so much this has made me feel so much more at ease leaving my axies
I have spoken to my parents at length and they will be great carers and will check back on here
if they can ..... (they are not too great with computers lol )

fridging both will definately set my mind at ease as the original house / pet sitter is definately more at ease caring for the dogs ( 2 boxers 12 and 8 months which will actually be much more of a handful than the axies lol)

I guess she may have caught her tail on the new fancy hiding house I put in the tank for them
it looks lovely and they love hiding in it but I am now going to take it out as I am a little concerned that may be the cause of Lillys tail injury , it doesnt appear to have any sharp edges however thats the only newish feature to the tank and I would rather err on the safe side.

Once again thank you so much as I was very stressed and worried I was not doing the right thing with the fridging.

My heart felt thanks go your way as I can go on our long awaited famly holiday feeling more at ease.

Lorraine and family ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!