Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Axie's New Home

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Just thought I'd post some pics of the 10 gallon tank I put my Axie babies in yesterday & some close ups of them. They really seem to like their new home so far, MUCH happier than the shoe box size tub they grew up in!
I've been cycling this tank for a couple weeks before I put them in. I've got an under gravel and an old fashoned carbon air filter in there. Hopefully that & weekly or so water changes/gravel vacs should be enough to keep the water clean enough. I'm waiting on my Axie pellots to come in from IU, so I'm still feeding them blood worms, that's what's on the rock in the first pic.
34210.jpg
34211.jpg
34212.jpg
34213.jpg
34214.jpg
34215.jpg

C

cynthia

Nice bunch of young Michael. I really like the color of the axolotls in the 2nd and 3rd picture.

A

anne-marie

I found that too, Michael. Once they get into a real tank, there's no going back to the holding pens, they love the space too much!

D

daniel

cool axolotls, My little ones are like the one in the 2nd and 3rd picture. how big are your's?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I really like the one in the 2nd & 3rd pics too. I call him Goliath, he's the biggest of them. I haven't measured them, but I think he's 2 1/2 to 3" long. He's a lot bigger than any of the others.

One of my albino's has a bitten off gill stalk that doesn't seem to be regenerating. Should it? It's one of the top ones, there's just a little bud where it was & in the last couple weeks it doesn't seem to be getting any bigger. If anything his other gills seem bigger & fluffier.

Well, Thanks!

Mike

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1