Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: My axolotl has a worm coming out from behind his gills!!!!

Lemi

Reaction score
Please, I need help. This is so creepy, I don't know what's wrong please, I need help.
I also had one time he ate a worm and brown stuff came out his mouth and nose.

esn

Reaction score
There's another thread on this. It's normal. The do have a slit under their head/neck area that it could go through. Don't worry.

Here's the relevant thread for the worm coming out:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...l-general-discussion/81588-infinite-worm.html

As well, sometimes my axies and andersonis will "spit up" or vomit a bit of their worm after swallowing it. This is from eating a bit too much. My male andersoni, who is established as a total pig, will steal worms after he's eaten his own, then vomit them up. I was scared the first time I saw it, as it looks like brown stuff is just spraying from his head. But it's fine. Better to vomit it up than to have trouble digesting too much food.

Lemi

Reaction score
Ok, thanks a lot. :)
I was beginning to think my axolotl had some sort of defect or parasite.

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
Happened to my guy too. I was also happy to learn that it wouldn't harm my Axie. How bizarre though! X)

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!