My axolotl has not eaten in over a month

Jeffy

Reaction score
Country
United States
My axolotl hasn't eaten in over a month. I have tried giving her live shrimp, live fish, earthworms, pellets, bloodworms, etc. and she just ignores them. The water temperature is a little bit high, but it's been that high before with no issues. I moved her into the basement in a bucket to cool her down and she still won't eat. Her gills are curled forward as well. What should I do? Should I fridge her? Force feed her? Idk what to do, please help. Thanks

I am still new to raising to Axolotls myself. I know it's not any type of answer but I'm sorry to hear about the little one passing away :(

I am still new to raising to Axolotls myself. I know it's not any type of answer but I'm sorry to hear about the little one passing away :(

Thanks for your condolences, it means a lot. I got a lot of hate for opening her up, I mainly specialize in fish, but know a bit about axolotls too. I wanted to see if there was anything I or anybody else could see wrong. I was told I should stop owning animals and how terrible and disrespectful I was for that but I told them she was dead anyways (no gill movements for over an hour, half an hour is the point where they are dead) and I was trying to see if I could see anything wrong. I was checking to see if there were any parasites in her intestines and there weren't, there weren't any enlarged organs or fat buildup so IDK what happened, I wonder why her skin was neon green underneath

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back