my axolotl is dying!!

SunnyFlowrr

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have had my axie for a year and now all of a sudden he is dying. He hasn't eaten for a week and a couple of days. He is very weak, he wont even stand up and barely swims. Today I saw him upside down motionless thinking he was dead. All of my water levels seem fine, I do a water change every week! He barely moves so much that now hes growing white stuff on him. He used to have fluffy gills and had a full belly, I want him to be healthy and happy again. Please tell me if he has an illness, if I'm doing something wrong, and how I can help my little guy get back to normal!

Attachments

• 20220329_101239.jpg
    20220329_101239.jpg
    596.1 KB · Views: 354
White stuff could be a fungal infection but he looks like he's in extremely poor shape. There may not be anything you can do. I did see on another thread you took the poor advice of another user who claimed that small gills were indicative that the axolotl was fine. Unfortunately, it seems that user's bad advice may be what ultimately will kill your little guy.

How long has he been decaying like that ?
It can't have happened within a few days !!!
If you look at OP's threads, since January. And an ignoramus decided to tell them that short gill stalks were a sign that the water was okay.

If you look at OP's threads, since January. And an ignoramus decided to tell them that short gill stalks were a sign that the water was okay.
I have since then fixed my water levels, maybe it might be a bug in him?

It looks like from your other thread, you don't know the ammonia levels. I suspect ammonia burns - very severe ammonia burns.
If I dont have a lot of nitrite or nitrate I must not have a lot of ammonia right? My axolotl doesn't have any burns or red marks on him also.

If I dont have a lot of nitrite or nitrate I must not have a lot of ammonia right? My axolotl doesn't have any burns or red marks on him also.
Wrong on both accounts. Having nitrates is what you're supposed to have. Your cycle is not complete, barely even started. If you have no nitrites or nitrates, then you have a lot of ammonia. Also, your other thread showed that your axolotl had red marks. But the prolonged exposure to ammonia that your axolotl has been subjected to has rendered it a very pale color. If these aren't ammonia burns, I don't know what an ammonia burn is. Have you tubbed your axolotl as wolfen told you to do? If not, you're continuing to leave him exposed to ammonia.

regressed gills, corroded dorsal fin, decaying tail, loss of colour, loss of eye colour, these are all signs of ammonia burns/poisoning.
please instead of arguing about whether there is ammonia or not just tub him/her.
as it stands while you are in denial your axolotl is dying and if something isn't done soon you will have a dead axolotl.

regressed gills, corroded dorsal fin, decaying tail, loss of colour, loss of eye colour, these are all signs of ammonia burns/poisoning.
please instead of arguing about whether there is ammonia or not just tub him/her.
as it stands while you are in denial your axolotl is dying and if something isn't done soon you will have a dead axolotl.
This is literally the second person on here this month who posts about their very sick axolotl and either doesn't respond to the help offered or just claims that they are doing nothing wrong...🤦‍♀️

What is with people???

This is literally the second person on here this month who posts about their very sick axolotl and either doesn't respond to the help offered or just claims that they are doing nothing wrong...🤦‍♀️

What is with people???
The axolotl is arguably an intermediate pet, not the beginner pet that some have claimed outside of these forums. Unfortunately, video games and social media have made aware the existence of these animals to a host of young people who don't know better about keeping enclosed animals, be it aquatic or terrestrial herps. I imagine that last year axolotl ownership surged. One of the admins commented that this website is growing rather rapidly again and I assume it's from the axolotl interest but I can't be bothered to find the post. The animal is popular enough now that they have found their way into my local pet shops and after asking curiously, the staff report that the animals sell out rapidly and they have lists of names to call whenever the store restocks.

My answer to your question is that a lot people have or are about to get an animal they know nothing of and this forum is only going to see a lot more of these threads. Hot water and uncycled aquariums is just the start.

My answer to your question is that a lot people have or are about to get an animal they know nothing of and this forum is only going to see a lot more of these threads. Hot water and uncycled aquariums is just the start.
I think the one earlier this month was aware that their Axie was being held at high temperatures though. It really is sad. And pet stores only really care about the economic profit.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back