My axolotl is peeling

Sophia_b

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can someone please holla my axolotls skin is peeling off, I have him in a salt bath just now but the last time this happed to my axolotl it died so I really need some advice. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 445
Hi can someone please holla my axolotls skin is peeling off, I have him in a salt bath just now but the last time this happed to my axolotl it died so I really need some advice. Thanks
the bright pink color of the skin, peeling of the slime coat, and lack of gills all point toward a water quality issue. i'm betting on ammonia burn, but you need to test your water to be sure. use a API freshwater master test kit to test your tank parameters, and keep him tubbed until further notice. change out the water of the tub 100% daily, and use cool water with water conditioner. he is in a lot of pain, and i wouldn't recommend salt baths at this stage because his skin and slime layer is already extremely irritated. give him black tea baths or use indian almond leaves in his tub to soothe the skin, and hope for the best. he is very ill and in a lot of pain, prognosis is guarded at best. keep us updated

I’d say ammonia burn as well. Make sure to do 100% water changes with colder than normal water and tea rather than salt. Local pet store should have almond leaf you can pick up. They are usually near the betta fish supplies.

What kind of water are you using? Someone here once posted about a similar issue (among many others) with their axolotl. It turned out that they were using distilled water, which is not good for amphibians.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back