Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Axolotls Accidentally Bred

sam1274

Reaction score
Last night I found some spermatophores in the 40 gallon tank that houses my two axolotls. I knew my luecistic was a male but was unsure what the sex of my wild type was. She is only about 7-8 inches long. Everything I have been able to find about axolotl breeding just says to not breed them until they are full grown as it can be dangerous for the female but I can't find anything on what to do if it happens accidentally. I have moved the male to a separate tank. the female began laying eggs about 10 and a half hours ago but I can only see about 25 eggs in the tank. I am very concerned for her health so if anyone can give me some advice on what I can do to help her I would greatly appreciate it!

Reaction score
Your female should be OK. To ensure she recovers quickly, I would remove the eggs (these foul the tank water very quickly), do a large water change, and feed her a bit extra. Keep a close eye on your water quality while she recovers!

Good plan on separating them!

Cloppy

Reaction score
Give her a little more nutrient dense food than normal, because making the eggs and laying takes a lot of her expends a lot of her energy and nutrients that she needs to stay healthy.

Popcqrn

Reaction score
Keep the tank very clean while she recovers, feeding her extra nutrition to get back what she lost through the eggs. She will recover, don't worry! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!