My axolotol has clear goopy stuff coming out of his bum!

Tanner69

Reaction score
Country
Australia
F8C22DB6-8588-4EA1-94B9-4F7A00D45A0A.jpeg
Please can anybody help me figure out what’s wrong with my buddy ?

This could be as simple as spermatophores or more complex like an imbalance in the intestines.

What do you feed?
tank parameters?

Mostly crickets , bloodworm on occasion , but I’ve just fed him earthworms 2 days ago .
he seems to be rubbing his belly on tank ornaments at times . He lives in a 2 ft tank, I only use an air filtration pump no charcoal . I change his tank water weekly .

7CF891C5-9836-4B2D-9227-8AC8739BBC59.jpeg
These were the lumps before the goop started coming out . There is one on each side

HES ALL FIXED ! LIKE NOTHING EVER HAPPENED !!!
Just a quick question please ... how much should I be feeding him ?

My bet is a boy and he was laying spermatophores.

How big is the tank?
Was it properly cycled?
Are you testing with a master test kit regularily?

How big is he?
The crickets and bloodworm do not have the protein or fat content needed for proper growth.
Worms, repashy grub pie, thawed raw salmon/shrimp, appropriate pellets are your best food options.
Depending on size feeding twice daily to every other day.

HES ALL FIXED ! LIKE NOTHING EVER HAPPENED !!!
Just a quick question please ... how much should I be feeding him ?

He’s about 20 cm long .
05A62E11-4DBD-4138-9BB5-65B012CA42A4.jpeg
how old might he be you think ? I’ve only had him for a couple of months .

EEEEEKKKKK - Those rounded rocks need to be removed - they are perfect size to now get stuck in his mouth and once he grows to cause intestinal blockage.

Age isn't something I can guess - Its about diet and growth. A well fed lotl is an inch of growth a month to about 6-8 months then slows.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back