Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My B. Orientalis tank

C

christopher

This is my toad tank. I thought these pictures might be useful for those of you who want to make a half land half water tank with soil and plants in it. I didn't really know how to prevent it from getting muddy but then I decided to just use a thick layer of gravel. I placed some soil above that. The pebles keep the soil from getting into the water.

16746.jpg

16747.jpg

16748.jpg

16749.jpg

16750.jpg

(Message edited by jennewt on June 09, 2004)

S

sharon

Very pretty. What kind of toads?

LOL! I tried the same trick with my Whites' Tree Frog setup. Pebbles, river rock, and slate on top of the dirt. It didn't work totally but it did slow the process down. Now I just settle for about once every six months, removing all the rocks in the pond and dredging the water feature with a brine shrimp net.

Hm, oh yeah, I almost forgot. At this point all the gravel I had as drainage on the soil portion of the tank is COMPLETELY mixed in with the dirt. ALL the slate, river rock and large pebbles are also mixed in. I just transferred everything from the old 20 gl long to a nice 40 and was shocked to realize how much the setup had changed from its original placings.

Sharon

J

joeri

Beautifull setup, I love when it looks naturally.
Here's a tip to keep your land area dry.

I drew your setup very basicly.
16753.jpg

The horizontal line represents a piece of glass you glue in your tank. Make sure it comes above water level.

Around your water you can place the pebbles like you did with soil. Make sure that the second land area is a bit higher than the wet area AND is devided by stones only. No connection in materials that can easely transport water (like soil or wood)
If you pile up the stones you can hide the glass wall.

The front area will take in water from your pool so will be wet and very usefull for growing moss. In your back area you could use little lavastones (dutch name, not sure it's translated correct) at the bottom. They take in all excess water and your plants roots will take it out again.

Maybe an idea for when you reinstall your setup.

greetz
Joeri

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1