Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Cycle Hasn't Started...

EverAquarium

Reaction score
For the last few weeks I have been building out a new Axolotl setup. I started with Dr. Tims ammonia and was dosing Stability regularly for a week. After another week I was not seeing any Nitrates so I also ordered some BIO-Spira and added that as well 4 days ago. I tested the water again today, still no nitrates. The tank has some fake plants, a terracotta pot, a couple of reptile hides, and aquarium stones. I am running a heater to keep the temp up to help with the cycle. I am just concerned that I am not seeing any progression of a cycle going on and it has been a little over 3 weeks since the first dose of Dr Tims and Stability.

Attachments

• IMG_2124.jpg
    IMG_2124.jpg
    663.3 KB · Views: 173

minorhero

Reaction score
When you test your water for ammonia is the reading always the same or has it fluctuated up or down? Have you seen any nitrites?

minorhero

Reaction score
Ammonia has stayed consistent on the Ammonia Alert and so far no nitrites
You should switch to using liquid tests for water parameters. Definitely do not rely on strips/badges etc. They are not accurate enough for anything more then a quick check.

Anyway 2 weeks is not very long yet in a cycle. Some people can get a tank cycled that fast but personally I always let mine go for a month. A couple other things. 1) if using liquid tests make sure to look at the tube in sunlight (even overcast) as lightbulbs put out inconsistent quality of light making it harder to accurately read results, and 2) if this is the API liquid test kit be aware that they really want you to shake the nitrate tube hard. As in paint store hard. Fail to shake enough or for the requisite time and it will always show negative results.

EverAquarium

Reaction score
You should switch to using liquid tests for water parameters. Definitely do not rely on strips/badges etc. They are not accurate enough for anything more then a quick check.

Anyway 2 weeks is not very long yet in a cycle. Some people can get a tank cycled that fast but personally I always let mine go for a month. A couple other things. 1) if using liquid tests make sure to look at the tube in sunlight (even overcast) as lightbulbs put out inconsistent quality of light making it harder to accurately read results, and 2) if this is the API liquid test kit be aware that they really want you to shake the nitrate tube hard. As in paint store hard. Fail to shake enough or for the requisite time and it will always show negative results.

Even with the API liquid tests my Ammonia is reading at least 4 ppm. just not sure why the Stability and the BIO-Spira aren't causing any readings for Nitrates yet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1