Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My first axie, Gytl

OKXSEE

Reaction score
Hello! I just got an axolotl last night to add to my growing collection of animals, and her name is Gytl. I researched all the specifications before my purchase, and used this site as a good tool. She is black with red gills and is only about 2-3 inches big. I got her and she is in great condition. I am not sure if she is a she but I'm just going to assume ;) I have a nice 10 gallon tank that is about 63 degrees F. I have a few swords and rocks, as well as a cave and a couple pieces of driftwood for hiding and blocking the current of the filter. This week i will be making a mesh lid to keep her from escaping. I will also get an aquarium fan when the warm weather kicks in. No heater or light, and i [will] feed her on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays about ten frozen blood worms. I haven't feed her yet, so advice on how to, what, and when would be much appreciated. I have had many tanks before, and at the moment I have a 29 community in my bedroom. Gytl like to sit in the corner sort of hidden...but has still seemed very healthy since last night, i assume she is just shy. I also put a black background in to keep away too much light. How did your axie get to know you when you first got her/him? When will she warm up (figuratively) and start to move more freely? How long does it take for them to reach adulthood? Thanks!! Pictures of Gytl and her tank below.

Attachments

• IMG_5839.jpg
    IMG_5839.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_5838.jpg
    IMG_5838.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 128
Last edited by a moderator:

Ammurrica

Reaction score
I got my axolotl this july and made the mistake of being too eager, i ordered it while researching and had not begun cycling the tank so sadly i had to wait for the tank to cycle while keeping him in a smaller container doing about 90% water changes of dechlorinated water daily so im pretty sure we got off to a rough start as he hated that but now that i have him a nice home he is very interactive with me and seems very comfortable in just a few short months

rachel1

Reaction score
I would feed a baby that small much more frequently. I feed twice a day until they reach about 4 inches, then cut back to once a day. At around 6-8 inches I scale back to every other day. You will notice their appetite drop off a bit as they mature, so it's ok to pay attention to how enthusiastically they grab food and use that as a guide. Growing babies are hard to over feed. You'll get much better growth with more frequent feedings.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Congratulations on your first Axolotl!

Blood worms aren't nutritionally complete and an Axolotl of that size will easily eat up to two times a day. Earth worms and pellets are two of the best foods, I use a brand of pellets called JBL Novolotl: https://www.jbl.de/?lang=en&mod=products&func=detail&id=4996

Take a look at these links, they will give you a lot of information on nutrition and the best types of foods: Caudata Culture Articles - Nutritional Values
Caudata Culture Articles - Worms
You can hand feed using long plastic tweezers or place a feeding dish to drop food onto.

Axolotls don't really get to know you they just associate you with food, and the times you feed them, so they will often know your around by sensing your presence through vibration and movement (there eyesight isn't very good) and come to the front of the tank wanting to be fed.

Your Axolotl probably isn't very active since it has been placed in a totally different water chemistry. Being moved into water with a different chemistry can be a shock to the Axolotl (same as being placed in different temperatures of water) and they must adjust, its usually safer to introduce the new water to your Axolotls initial water over the period of a day so they can adjust.

Ammurrica is right, you need to look at your tanks cycle.

For your tank to be cycled, a beneficial bacteria needs to be present to break down the Ammonia and Nitrites into Nitrates. Ammonia and Nitrites are lethal to Axolotl and are produced from your Axolotls waste and decomposing food. Nitrates are a less toxic by product. During cycling the beneficial bacteria will colonize your tanks surfaces such as substrate, ornaments, filter, and begin to feed on the Ammonia turning it into Nitrites, then bacteria will break down the Nitrites into Nitrates. The bacteria is known as a biofilter, as it filters the ammonia and nitrites into less harmful nitrates.

Read these links on cycling your tank:
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

Your tank needs to be cycled to give your Axolotl the best water quality which will keep your Axolotl healthy.

Monkeybeth

Reaction score
It sounds like you are off to a good start. I would feed more often with more variety and nutrients and you do not have to worry about the axolotl escaping, even though they do have lungs they are fully aquatic and will not climb out or jump out.

OKXSEE

Reaction score
Thanks! I have been feeding her more often and I started giving the worms to her by hand. She has been moving a lot more and comes out to see me every once in while but is still quite shy. I will defiantly look into pellets, can young axolotls eat live food? I think she is too small for earthworms, but i will vary her diet. How many worms should she be eating? If i feed her ten one day, i don't feed her the next, or i feed her 5 one day and 5 the next, should i not skip days and feed more often then? I can try to feed her in the morning and afternoon or afternoon and night. She keeps doesn't want to eat more than 3-4 at most at a time. All else seems normal. She is slowly warming up to me! Thanks again!!

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Axolotls can escape, they can leap out the water quite easily if they get spooked or have an energetic moment. The mesh lid will be perfect since it will stop the tank from trapping heat which increases your water temperature and it will stop your Axolotl from having any accidents 'jumping' out.

Have you looked at cycling at all yet? Its important to monitor your water quality for your Axolotl to be healthy.

Which worms are you feeding now? 10 singular blood worms is virtually nothing to an axolotl, at 2-3 inches you'd do better feeding small pellets and small pieces of chopped up earth worms. At this stage you can feed everyday, I always fed as much as the Axolotl will take within 5-10 mins, specifically around 8 small pellets and a couple pieces of chopped worm (you can vary which amount of each you feed the most of). You will eventually get an idea for how much your Axolotl will take, and how long it takes for him to pass the food.

AristotleA

Reaction score
My axie took a month or maybe two to really be active and playful and get to recognize me. He is still growing even though the shop said he was a year (I think that was wrong though) old. Now he always looks at me when I walk in the room and he sometimes swims up to the water surface to greet me (or ask for food)

Sent from my SM-G910S using Tapatalk

Shycloudgirl

Reaction score
She's adorable, to get her a little more active in the tank maybe rearranging the tank so that her hide is closer to the front and you've already provided plants to hide in and wood to climb may help her feel more sheltered as she explores the tank, so that's great.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!