Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My first dead axie. R.I.P Nitro

iSuzie

Reaction score
His name was nitro, he is about 21cm long and im unsure of his age, he had baby's with my female 6-7weeks ago. He was my husbands fav axie.
For the wast week and a half we has been hanging about our floating plants at the top of the tank, I kept my eye on him for a few days then realised even when he wanted to he couldn't stay at the bottom. It was then I realised he had a floating problem, I watched him for a few more days, about a week had past. He shown no signs of stress from this but after about a week he stopped eating, this is normal for him, as he often eats a few worms then doesn't eat for a few days, this didn't not worry me at the time.
We moved him to our spare room where our baby's are set up, covered his tub with a pillow case and changes his water daily, offered earthworms and blood worms daily, he refused.
In total is no more than 5 days without food.
The conditions of the tank he came from are fine, no ammonia no nitrite and normal nitrate, temp 18degree, substrate slate tiles with sand in-between, with live plants and hides. Twice weekly changes as the tank is going tho a mini cycle after switching to slate substrate.
The floating started before the substrate change, all slate tiles were scrubs and boiled before being in the tank.
He has been in the tub for only 4 days and has had daily changes with exact same water temp of 16 degrees in that room its colder also his hide and plant were washed daily.
Well tonight we uncovered his tub, and found him dead.
He is lighter in colour, and his gills are slightly forward, no curled tail and no other signs of stress or problems other than the floating {week and a half} and refusing food for no more than 5 days.

I cant explain his death, I have asked other, they cant explain it ether.
He has never been sick or shown any signs of illness. I take an extreme amount of care with all of my axies. And I just cant figure out what happened.

I took a video of his body, he doesn't look dead, but I assure you, he is.

Any ideas on what may of happened appreciated thanks. :cry:

R.I.P Nitro 4/11/11 - YouTube

Jenste

Reaction score
I don't know what may have happened but I am so so sorry :( He was lovely

iSuzie

Reaction score
Thanks.
But that's just the thing, he did. He had a great life and was looked after so well, I don't understand his death and I am in shock and still cant believe he is gone.

axolotl141

Reaction score
it sounds like what mine has and i think its gas but mine is still eating abit and is at the bottom but im sorry for your loss im really into axis and i cant stand to hear about one dieing thats the worst part about having them they dont live forever :(

axigeek

Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss and I can say I know how you feel after losing 2 of my axi's and not knowing why they died is the worse part. R.I.P Nitro.

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
He looked liked a great guy, and a happy one at that ( I watched one of your videos with him in it.)

Mind if I ask how old he was?

iSuzie

Reaction score
I'm unsure of his age, but he wasn't that old, was 17cm when I got him and he grew about 3cm with in the first few months with us, so Im pretty sure he was still a young one.

lea

Reaction score
suzi Im so sorry. I know how you feel. I came home from holidays and I lost cookie. It happened over night.:(
You are a good axie mum. "hugs for you"

Morrison

Reaction score
Aww, I'm so sorry. :(
Love the name :D
The video looks a bit like my video I made when Frangipane died. Same pose. She didn't look dead, but she was and only had very pale gills.

Nibog

Reaction score
So sorry for your lost - it is always hard to loose a beloved pet

- Nibog

Johan

Reaction score
Hi Suzi, I'm so sorry for your loss of Nitro, I hope you are ok, much strength!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1