My Marbled Salamander (Ambystoma opacum)

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
MantellaGuy
Hi everyone,

This is a little bit out of my usual Tylototriton threads but hey ho!

Anyway, got this gorgeous little Female Marbled Salamander (A.opacum) the other day after about 2 months of deciding if I should get her or not. She was on her own unfortunately, so I shall have to buy some more adults later on in the year. Surprisingly enough, shes not that secretive and I have seen her quite a lot exploring her Tank and even hiding half out in the open amongst the leaf litter! Shes a good eater and I have even given hand feeding ago and she takes it pretty quickly.

Here's a few pictures of her ©:
tylototritonguy-albums-marbled-salamander-ambystoma-opacum-picture26294-marbled-salamander-nomenclature-ambystoma-opacum-iucn-red-list-least-concerned-2013-these-my-own-photographs-please-ask-permission-before-using.jpg

Managed to get a photo of her late at night when she came out of her hiding spot (maybe to hunt?) ©:
tylototritonguy-albums-marbled-salamander-ambystoma-opacum-picture26336-marbled-salamander-nomenclature-ambystoma-opacum-iucn-red-list-least-concerned-2013-these-my-own-photographs-please-ask-permission-before-using.jpg

And another ©:
tylototritonguy-albums-marbled-salamander-ambystoma-opacum-picture26337-marbled-salamander-nomenclature-ambystoma-opacum-iucn-red-list-least-concerned-2013-these-my-own-photographs-please-ask-permission-before-using.jpg

Anyway, thank you for reading my thread!

Kind Regards

Tyloguy

P.S Please do not use my photos without permission, as one or two people have tried passing off photos as their own.

Right time for a noobie question from me! I m having trouble telling the sex of this individual, I am getting told it looks a little bit too bright for female. However, its Cloacal vent is non-existent and isn't swollen.

Anyone, want to take a guess at this little one? lol

It may be currently near-impossible to stablish the gender of the animal. I´m assuming it´s a WC animal since it´s an adult, and if it´s just been purchased, it´s very likely that the secondary sexual characteristics are inhibited because of the importation process or the details of the housing it has received prior to purchase.

It may be currently near-impossible to stablish the gender of the animal. I´m assuming it´s a WC animal since it´s an adult, and if it´s just been purchased, it´s very likely that the secondary sexual characteristics are inhibited because of the importation process or the details of the housing it has received prior to purchase.

Actually its a CB, was bought by the shop as a young CB about 2 and a half years ago I believe lol So do you think its a matter of time till perhaps Sexual characteristics show them selves and make them selves more apparent?

Ah, i´m very glad to hear that! I was going to point out that they are being bred in captivity with modest frequency nowadays so you might be interested in looking for CB ones to expand the group, but now that´s pointless xD It may be that the animal is not yet sexually mature, but if it is, the sexual characteristics might have nevertheless been obscured by the change in environment, so just give it some time and hopefully the gender will become rather obvious.

Ah, i´m very glad to hear that! I was going to point out that they are being bred in captivity with modest frequency nowadays so you might be interested in looking for CB ones to expand the group, but now that´s pointless xD It may be that the animal is not yet sexually mature, but if it is, the sexual characteristics might have nevertheless been obscured by the change in environment, so just give it some time and hopefully the gender will become rather obvious.

Haha yeah I completely forgot to mention it in my original post! I normally explain stuff like that :/ Not on the ball as it were currently lol. But yeah I have noticed a huge surplus of CB specimens which I think is fantastic but like everything, clearly there will be WC around! Hmmm I shall give it a bit of time then, of course it was in a basic set up before and I am feeling like its enjoying this new environment, seems to be more than happy to walk around and explore the place (I have a funny feeling this will wear off :p lol)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back