Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My new chimera axolotl called Harley.

axoltlmad123

Reaction score
I'd like everyone to meet my almost 2 year old axolotl harley. I am so happy with him. I will be breeding from him or should I say attempting soon. Just wondered roughly how many chimeras are there in the UK and how many in the world just curious.

Attachments

• 20150403_200339.jpg
    20150403_200339.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,397
  • 20150403_200017.jpg
    20150403_200017.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 2,176
  • 20150404_013612.jpg
    20150404_013612.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 4,949
  • 20150403_235248.jpg
    20150403_235248.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 11,345

Stupot1610

Reaction score
There are very few chimeras, this is because it is not hereditary. So when you breed from him he will not produce any chimera babies (well, its possible, but so unlikely it's not even worth mentioning.)

axoltlmad123

Reaction score
Yes I realise that about getting a chimera from him. No better chance. I still think if he's fertile he'd have cute babies. Especially if they have his head shape .

lstrohl

Reaction score
Don't lose hope: I have evidence that there is a genetic component to formation of chimeric axolotls. I have two females that produced two chimeric babies each in March. One of the two had a chimera last January, as well.:happy:

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
There are very few chimeras, this is because it is not hereditary. So when you breed from him he will not produce any chimera babies (well, its possible, but so unlikely it's not even worth mentioning.)

I have heard several breeders saying certain axolotls throw chimeras regularly. It is nothing like a simple recessive but their does seem to be a genetic component to it.

axoltlmad123

Reaction score
A little update I have some (420) eggs from harley and axi and they are fertile not all of them are developing but most are. They should be hatching in the next few days.

lstrohl

Reaction score
Again defying the commonly-stated probabilities, I have found four chimeras in a recent hatch of 149, and two in a hatch of 168. All but one have survived their first three weeks and are growing well.

The mothers of both batches are sisters. All of the chimeras are white on one side, and either melanistic or wild-type on the other. What is most intriguing to me is that NONE of the normal siblings are leucistic, which means, in this case, that the mothers are homozygous and lack the leucistic gene.

Anybody have a clue how this might happen?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I think the genetics is a little more complex than simple recessives and the types we are used to. They could look half leucistic but something other than the normal mechanism for leucistic color could be happening.

What do the parents look like? Do you have pictures of the parents and offspring?

LSuzuki

Reaction score
I have an unexpected (because, what are the chances in a small batch of eggs?) chimera/mosaic. The color are white albino and golden albino. This one is interesting because it is partially GFP, with the GFP co-located with the golden blotches. So, I don't think the "white" areas are caused by some other mechanism which affects color (since GFP isn't color.) The mother (Lady Aquarius's wild type Yoshi) has had at least 2 others with mixed colors, so it seems that she is one that seems to exhibit a genetic component to it. The father is a golden albino SFP (named Solano).

What I am wondering is, is this possibly a trisomy? I can't find the term for it, but it is possible for 1 egg to be fertilized by 2 sperm. In humans it is fatal, but ambystoma have polyploid populations. I can't find the reference now, but when I was googling before, I found that sometimes trisomies sort-of corrected themselves with some cell lines getting one pair of chromosomes and others a different pair. It would have a genetic component, since sperm competition combined with the negative reproductive effects of trisomy means females face evolutionary pressure to prevent fertilization by multiple sperm. (I'm not a biologist - I'm not explaining this well.)

Attachments

• DSC00915.jpg
    DSC00915.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,825
  • DSC00919.jpg
    DSC00919.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 941
  • DSC00787.jpg
    DSC00787.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 620
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1