Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My new Golden Albino!!!

JonDabs

Reaction score
Gotta come up with a good name for em
any ideas?

Attachments

• axolotl best pic.jpeg
    axolotl best pic.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 309
  • axolotl best pic.jpg
    axolotl best pic.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 321

SariYappa

Reaction score
How about "Lox"?

You know, for 'Goldie Lox' :rofl:

May I ask where you got him? You aren't that far from my part of the country...

JonDabs

Reaction score
lox is too girly im pretty sure hes a male

I like ghost
but after ghost from the call of duty series haha

I saved him from a guy who was breeding them but really didnt have the time for em...

Ive been calling him Axel but it just seems super generic.

IM gonna be posting pictures of his new setup soon as his hide finishes curing :D

JonDabs

Reaction score
UPDATE

So he has a name now and its Rocky. I have a lab boxer mix named Apollo after Apollo Creed. So he fits right in!

Hes got an awesome new tank I siliconed river rockes to a tupaware container I turned upsode down. I left the top of the container on to where I could feed him in it and there would be no sand to mix in with his frozen blood worms. Theres an air stone under the rocks in the middle that for him he uses as a launch pad to boost him on top of his house. HE LOVES IT! I have broken slate covering the bottom which I dremmeled all sharp edges off of same with his house. I have sand that fills in the gaps on the floor and a large slate piece for a background everything has been axolotl proofed so he cant get anywhere he shouldn't.

My next project is I want live plants Id like to have a wall of moss on the background slate piece Id like some moss on top of the house and in his front yard. I was thinking java moss or x-mas moss. Any ideas?

Heres some pictures!

Attachments

• crib in the making 2.jpeg
    crib in the making 2.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 230
  • crib in the making.jpeg
    crib in the making.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 210
  • rocky's crib.jpeg
    rocky's crib.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 225
  • rocky's crib2.jpeg
    rocky's crib2.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 223

SariYappa

Reaction score
Looks great! I am working on siliconing rock to a large PVC pipe with 3 openings... I can see the DIY thing getting addictive :eek:

JonDabs

Reaction score
Looks great! I am working on siliconing rock to a large PVC pipe with 3 openings... I can see the DIY thing getting addictive :eek:

it really is, I redecorate every week when I do water changes haha

just make sure you cure it for a full 48 hours
24 hours outside of water and 24 hours inside the water
for it to be tank ready

and also make sure you are using the right silicone that's aquarium friendly
I was pointed in the wrong direction by a home depot employee and got the wrong kind
I built the whole house and was waiting for it to cure when I realized what I used wasn't going to work and that I had to start all over and throw away a lot of river rocks

SariYappa

Reaction score
Thank you :D

Guess what? Been there, done that! :p
I got 100% clear silicone at habitat for humanity... Only to get home and read the fine print on the back: "not for aquarium use"...

Went to lowe's and got this one to replace it
image.jpg

So much for saving money :eek:

Figured I cant go wrong since it says "aquarium safe on the front of the package :tongue:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1