My Planted Tank

dannyyyallenn

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Daniel Allen
Here's a pick from two weeks ago. What do you guys think? Just recently switched out my National Geographic light for a Satellite Plus Pro. Unfortunately I'm plagued with brown algae at the moment but hopefully with the better light the plants will be able to use to any excess nutrients in the water and that will be the end of that. The tank is about 2 months old now, 20 gallon long. So far I have not had any ammonia spikes nor nitrates and nitrites. 20% change every other week.
Contents:
base layer of flourite
second layer of aquasoil(Mr. Aqua brand).
Four Anubias
One bunch of Anacharis
A developing carpet of Staurogyne Repens(2 weeks after a replant)
4 Marimo Moss Balls
Several pieces of dead coral to add Calcium Carbonate
Spiderwood
Four Nerite snails
Several ghost and cherry shrimp
3 m. a. Apaunus; two male one female in juvenile stage.

Attachments

• IMG_5490[1].jpg
    IMG_5490[1].jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 613
It looks great, and will only get better as the plants mature. :)
I've had brown algae blooms as well as blue/green and green hair algae in my planted tanks from time to time. As long as the nitrate and phosphate levels are low they should burn themselves out after a week or so. I've noticed marimos seem to help clear algae, but that could be just coincidence.

Thanks. That's actually an old photo, I'm going to try to bring up some newer ones. I'm hoping they don't come out upside down(which they often do).

Attachments

• IMG_6032.jpg
    IMG_6032.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_6036.jpg
    IMG_6036.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_6035.jpg
    IMG_6035.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 358
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back