My Tank Broke; Help!

thesestarsistole

Reaction score
Country
United States
A series of unfortunate events led to our tank breaking last night.

Our axolotl doesn’t seem to be doing very well after being swept away into the floor and not found for a couple minutes; he also has a couple scrapes from glass but i think the combination of things is going to take him. How can i help him be comfortable?

I already feel horrible (it wasn’t anyone’s fault though) so please be kind when responding. I just want to help him be comfortable if he’s dying.

because axolotls have rudimentary lungs they can survive out of water for a short period of time.
the main issue would be any injury's sustained, there are a few things that can be done.
get the water as cool as possible, axolotls heal better at colder temperatures.
use holtfreters or modified solution, this will help to ward of infection/mold/fungus, with make the water more comfortable/suitable for the axolotl.
using almond/catappa leaves in the water, there release beneficial tanins that are both anti-bacterial and soothing.
don't count him out yet, axolotl are very resilient and with care he stands a good chance of recovery.
as a side note if you can tub him in a ceramic or pirex dish rather then plastic as at this point you don't wont any bacteria getting into the wounds and there are instances or plastic promoting bacterial growth that causes rot.
make sure to clean daily and have the water oxygenated with a air-stone.
get some methylene blue on hand in case of bad infection.

Oh no! I hope he ends up okay. Especially what all that's happened with your axies lately.

Try to apply antibiotics to his wounds as it will help them heal. Tub him and soak him in methylene blue. When you can verify he's healthy, maybe throw him back in with the female but use a tank divider so they aren't bothering each other. This will be faster than cycling another tank.

Hope he's okay.

Oh no! I hope he ends up okay. Especially what all that's happened with your axies lately.

Try to apply antibiotics to his wounds as it will help them heal. Tub him and soak him in methylene blue. When you can verify he's healthy, maybe throw him back in with the female but use a tank divider so they aren't bothering each other. This will be faster than cycling another tank.

Hope he's okay.
I know! we’ve been having really bad luck lately other than the surprise of the babies (which are doing fantastic).
so far he is doing really well in the fridge, and i have an air stone coming today for him. I am going to be getting another tank for him and using the filter, some substrate, and some water that we have in our females tank to start getting cycled for him.

Do you know how long i can leave him in the fridge for? is there a point that i should take him out? he’s been in there for about 24 hours right now.

because axolotls have rudimentary lungs they can survive out of water for a short period of time.
the main issue would be any injury's sustained, there are a few things that can be done.
get the water as cool as possible, axolotls heal better at colder temperatures.
use holtfreters or modified solution, this will help to ward of infection/mold/fungus, with make the water more comfortable/suitable for the axolotl.
using almond/catappa leaves in the water, there release beneficial tanins that are both anti-bacterial and soothing.
don't count him out yet, axolotl are very resilient and with care he stands a good chance of recovery.
as a side note if you can tub him in a ceramic or pirex dish rather then plastic as at this point you don't wont any bacteria getting into the wounds and there are instances or plastic promoting bacterial growth that causes rot.
make sure to clean daily and have the water oxygenated with a air-stone.
get some methylene blue on hand in case of bad infection.
This helped calm our nerves so much! thank you!
it’s been about a day now that he’s been in the fridge. he’s not as lethargic, and it looks like his colors are coming back a bit. he does have some skin hanging off of his nose from the glass that im thinking i need to try to get off? or should i let it come off on its own? i will see about some met.blue and i have an air stone coming today for him; we’re going to start cycling a tank for him as well for after he can come out of the fridge. is there any way to know he’s ready to come out/go back to a full size tank?

A7A4B5F1-330C-4DFB-B36B-5B3B19E2D42E.jpeg

Axel this morning after fridge; much more comfortable looking.
8CA81D21-B4A1-41D0-8CB1-FC74B5BA40D8.jpeg

Axel yesterday before fridge; not sure if this is graphic or needs a warning. he just doesn’t look comfortable to me.
45D41C6D-4CBE-43BA-B812-B0AB51F825A6.jpeg

Side note our babies have legs today!

do the regular water changes, don't remove any dead skin of him, let it come of in its own time.
you know your axolotl best so I think you will be able to work out when he is back to his normal self and any injuries are healing well that he will be ready to come out of the fridge. just make sure to acclimatise him before he is put in warmer water.
good to hear that he's on the mend.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back