Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My tank so far

Reaction score
pv7k.jpg

I have a chiller and filter on the way, they will most likely be installed either under or to the left of the tank.

Just looking for some plant advice I used play sand as a substrate not sure if that will support live plants I doubt it so I was looking for someone who knows of some really high quality silk plants I can get on the net.

HayleyK

Reaction score
The photo didn't work.

However silk is more expensive than plastic. I have found that silk leaks the red dye they use (if you use a red/purple plant) and it came from an expensive-ish brand. But ebay is probably your best bet for price.

axowattyl

Reaction score
pv7k.jpg

I have a chiller and filter on the way, they will most likely be installed either under or to the left of the tank.

Just looking for some plant advice I used play sand as a substrate not sure if that will support live plants I doubt it so I was looking for someone who knows of some really high quality silk plants I can get on the net.

If it's Bunnings playsand plants grow in it like wildfire!

Mine do anyway.

The only other factor with mine is that I use some water hardening salt that contains a few trace elements as well, but I've been very pleased with the growth of my plants so far.

The trick is to go with low light/cold water plants such as Anubia, Java Fern, Hygrophilia (I think) and Java Moss.

Both my tanks are cycled nicely now, but I think the one with live plants is just nicer water (opinion only, they both test ok).

E

Elise

You don't want much more than a 1/2 - 1 inch of sand for a substrate. With the amount you have, large portions of the sand wouldn't be agitated and you'll end up with anaerobic conditions and gas pockets. As axolotls like to thrash and dig, they can disrupt an anaerobic zone and release something highly toxic like hydrogen sulfide.

HayleyK

Reaction score
You'll also need hides as axolotls don't have eyelids, they can get stressed from the lights with no where to hide. Agree with Elise too, that sand is far too thick and will cause a build up.

Reaction score
oh ok thank you very much for that info I have so much because I tried to raise the water level without having the tank so deep and still look nice.
So is the gases caused by organisms that need little to no oxygen and it just builds up in pockets in the sand?

I have a single hide right now just a rock held up by sand in the center there but I guess that idea is out the window cause it requires to much sand.

HayleyK

Reaction score
oh ok thank you very much for that info I have so much because I tried to raise the water level without having the tank so deep and still look nice.
So is the gases caused by organisms that need little to no oxygen and it just builds up in pockets in the sand?

I have a single hide right now just a rock held up by sand in the center there but I guess that idea is out the window cause it requires to much sand.

If you're worried the water will be too high for your axolotl - it won't be :).

And for the hide, I prefer both ends open as if they need to get out there's two ends! (Not very bright animals at times :lol:) plus if there's more than 1 you don't want it to feel cornered.

HayleyK

Reaction score
Your plants will most likely get up rooted haha! Mine were constantly getting uprooted that's why I chose more fake than real, although real looks a ton better. You can place them in little pots or a shot glass instead of straight in the sand.

Reaction score
I'am looking for the most natural look I can get so maybe I could plant them and make them hard to get at by using some stones bigger than the axies head.

Not to sure what to use as a hide now, any suggestions of some awesome realistic hides or things I could use as hides remembering natural?

HayleyK

Reaction score
Driftwood and rocks are good choices. I have an awesome bit of driftwood which I have attached a plant to (this could be an idea to avoid your axolotl tearing it up) and it has a pretty cool hide - driftwood with hides can be hard to come across so be patient. I also found some nice flat rocks from a beach. I thoroughly boiled them and layed them out in the sun for a few days, tested if the rocks were safe, and then reboiled them again before adding to my tank. Be careful of some rocks, but slate is really good. Here's a pic for an idea.

I've also seen people using BPA Tupperware-sort of containers, cutting out a hole or two for the axolotl to fit through, sanding the edges down and then using aquarium silicon to glue down different rocks and such which looks pretty good too.

Check out the "post pictures of your tanks" thread for a load of inspiration!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Floating plants are also a great investment and obviously can't be uprooted. If you don't have a green thumb I would recommend java fern, java moss, maybe some moss balls. They will help reduce nitrates as they grow but water changes are always a must.

EmbryH

Reaction score
It's not even two inches tall... It'd work for a smaller axolotl, I guess. I've got a big meaty guy, so maybe it just seems small to me because I'm used to having to buy huge hides x) It looks nice, though.

Flee

Reaction score
I went to my local pet store and bought a half log. I think I paid $12 and its pretty big Ive seen 4 axies in it at once top to tail ;) I think the brand was aqua one?? it can be used in water or land for lizards.

the store City farmers have the best range of tank item and some natural looking. When I was setting up my tank I had trouble finding things I wanted for my tank.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Go to any hardware store selling large diameter PVC piping. Sand the edges down a bit and the axolotls will love it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1