My Tree Toads

KingCam

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Cam
Know by some as Tree Toads, known to the rest of us as Grey Tree Frogs

As some of you know, I attempted to breed them this year. It was unsucessful. I will have to build a rain chamber for next spring and try again. I thought I could get them to breed by brumating them, introducing them to an enclosure with a large water feater in the spring, and frequent mistings. I think the mist just wasn't enough. The males did a fair amount of calling, and I even caught a pair in amplux once, but nothing came of it.

Anyway, here are some updated photos of my wet-skinned compadres.

treetoads1.jpg

^ Relaxing over the pond :p This water feature takes up 90% of the bottom ground space and it appox. 12 inches deep with twigs and other stuff for the tree frogs to hang onto. There is an aquarium bubble stone in the bottom to keep the water moving and fresh. Water is changed every week or so.

treetoads2.jpg

treetoads3.jpg

^ Sorry for the blurry photo. You can only take so many shots when attempting to pose 5 hungry hippos in a row XD

treetoads4.jpg

treetoads5.jpg

treetoads6.jpg

treetoads7.jpg

treetoads8.jpg

treetoads9.jpg

^ This is what a grey tree frog does when (s)he wants to shed skin. They inflate themselves and then do a bunch of funny contortions until their skin comes loose. Then they kinda "step" out of it and eat it with a lot of strange looking gulping motions. It is actually alarming the first time you see it.

treetoads10.jpg

treetoads11.jpg

treetoads12.jpg

treetoads13.jpg

^ Here you can see the surface of their large water feature. It is probably about a foot deep (12 inches). Lot of twigs and stuff in there for them to hang onto.

My froggy five will graduate to the slimy six tonight. A friend of mine has lost interest in his tree frogs (a grey and a red-eye). I told him I'd take the grey tree frog off his hands.

Hope you enjoyed my photos :D

Beautiful specimens man. Nice setups too!

whoa! that is the coolest thing ive seen all day! :D

Nice frogs, very healthy looking (I like my frogs to be on the fatter side :happy:

hello, nice tank, do you know what species you have as i think they are mixed between versicolor and chyrsocellis.

Nice frogs, very healthy looking (I like my frogs to be on the fatter side :happy:
Thanks :) My frogs get fed probably more than they should, but they beg like they're starving! :p

hello, nice tank, do you know what species you have as i think they are mixed between versicolor and chyrsocellis.
No, I don't know for sure what they are. I agree with you, I think I have a mix which may be why my breeding efforts failed this past spring. I do not know how to tell the difference. I wish someone could tell me which was which, but so far no one has been able to give me a definite answer.

You can only differentiate by the call it makes, no?

You can only differentiate by the call it makes, no?

That's what I've always heard, but that doesn't really help with the females who make no noises :-\ The calls I've heard sounded to my untrained ear like Cope's Grey Tree Frogs.

Cam, that is a great set up. They look so happy and content. Thanks for sharing. :happy:

Cam, that is a great set up. They look so happy and content. Thanks for sharing. :happy:
Thank you :) I like to believe they are content. They never jump out of their tank when I open the door, they just face me and wait to be fed XD

When the two species are calling together, it's easy to tell them apart. The chrysoselis call is slower, if I remember right.

When the two species are calling together, it's easy to tell them apart. The chrysoselis call is slower, if I remember right.

So there is no way to tell with the females, since they do not call?

Other than which mate they choose, barring genetic testing, I don't think so.

Other than which mate they choose, barring genetic testing, I don't think so.
That's what I was afraid of :( Maybe one of these days I'll fork over some money to have DNA test done. Not anytime soon, though haha

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back