Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mysterious life history of Paddletails

zhanggeer

Reaction score
The life history of Paddletails is full of mystery.
Very few photos record its eggs, larvae and what they look like when they finish metamorphosis.
Yesterday, I find two pic on newspaper.
Both of them were found on the same place.
Pic 1 is terrestrial form Paddletails. Pic 2 is aquatic form.
My guess is when larvae finish metamorphosis, some of them will climb to the land, the other will stay in water.
As for the reason, maybe food, competion for for existence. I'm not so sure.

zhanggeer

Reaction score
the life history of paddletails is full of mystery.
Very few photos record its eggs, larvae and what they look like when they finish metamorphosis.
Yesterday, i find two pic on newspaper.
Both of them were found on the same place.
Pic 1 is terrestrial form paddletails. Pic 2 is aquatic form.
My guess is when larvae finish metamorphosis, some of them will climb to the land, the other will stay in water.
As for the reason, maybe food, competion for for existence. I'm not so sure.

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 567
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 482

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought you posted some other pictures of juvenile and terrestrial adult Paddletails n a different thread? Those pictures are so rare, that it would be worth re posting them here so we can have a thread dedicated to the Paddletail's life cycle?
Maybe someone has bread them in captivity before, but the most i've seen backed up by pictures is the female guarding freshly laid eggs. I can't find a single picture of larvae either on this site or anywhere else.

Maybe one of our hard working Mods would move this thread to the Paddletail section so it's easier to find in future? :)

zhanggeer

Reaction score
I thought you posted some other pictures of juvenile and terrestrial adult Paddletails n a different thread? Those pictures are so rare, that it would be worth re posting them here so we can have a thread dedicated to the Paddletail's life cycle?
Maybe someone has bread them in captivity before, but the most i've seen backed up by pictures is the female guarding freshly laid eggs. I can't find a single picture of larvae either on this site or anywhere else.

Maybe one of our hard working Mods would move this thread to the Paddletail section so it's easier to find in future? :)

I will find these terrestrial Paddletails and larvae next year.
Especially for Pachytriton brevipes.
My friend seen terrestrial Pachytriton brevipes before.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Found them! I hope you don't mind me moving them here. :)

Attachments

• paddletail 1.JPG
    paddletail 1.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 503
  • paddletail2.JPG
    paddletail2.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 507

Yahilles

Reaction score
Very interesting thread! From what i previously known, only once the scientists researching wild Pachytriton have found a terrestial juvenile, and some of the few people who bred them in captivity said their morphs are generally aquatic (skin not suited to terrestial life), some claimed they move on land, but so few people ever raised them to adulthood. The terrestial ones on your photos remind me of Salamandrina or Taricha rivularis. Never knew there are terrestial adults, as is read in scientific papers, even the tongues of the adults are no longer useful to shooting for prey on land.

zhanggeer

Reaction score
The terrestrial forms were thought to be a different species until recently, from what I can find out.
I know the authors of that paper. Two of them are my friends.
That paper is a academic joke.:D:D:D

Yahilles

Reaction score
BTW, do you have any more field information on Pachytriton? Like pictures of their biotopes, which animals they co-exist with, when do they breed etc?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1