Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

N. Kaiseri set-up

deathcleric

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 0.0.3 of some recent CB N. kaiseri I got a few weeks ago. I am keeping them in a 20 gal long tank with a "turtle" dock with some moss in case they want to exit the water. I was wondering if anyone had any problems with keeping them fully aquatic, and also if anyone had any insight into why these guys are so readily available again, after being so hard to find.

velasco13000

Reaction score
People raise kaisers fully aquatic and have not had any issues. I have mine aquatic year round and they are all doing well and eating good. As to your other question as to why they are more available it's simply because people have been breeding them more and more . They are easy to breed and the babies are generally easy to raise

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Some people are still trying to call them the rarest newt in the world which is a total lie being fed on an old and inaccurate survey. People use this to try to get a 150.00 to 180.00 for them online. Which is total ****. They shouldn't cost more than 60.00 dollars. At a recent reptile show I saw them for saw at two different tables. One for 60.00 and the other for 75.00 They like to climb so some rocks up out of the water is good. They are experts at climbing so make sure you have a tight fitting screen lid. A nice secure pile of rocks and few plants is all you need to make this active newt happy.

garfield188

Reaction score
Well, they're not doing so well in the wild and only appear in an incredibly small area of land. Them being the rarest newt in the world might be slightly exaggerated looking at the animals present in pet trade compared to some other newt species in the pet trade, but not looking at their population in the wild. They're still rated critically endangered by the IUCN red list.

deathcleric

Reaction score
That makes sense. Basically like how Axolotls are practically extinct in the wild, but in the trade, they are thriving. I did pay a bit more than I cared to for them, but they are all doing well, eating a variety of foods including earthworms, newt pellets and frozen bloodworms. I just wanted to see what the expert advice would be, so I posted here.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, they're not doing so well in the wild and only appear in an incredibly small area of land.

In 2012 a study was completed which increased the known distribution of N.kaiseri from 212km² to 789km² and 5 known locations to 13. You can read the published article here: http://www.herpconbio.org/Volume_8/Issue_3/Sharifi_etal_2013.pdf

I only keep mine aquatic during the breeding season. Given the choice they will leave the water and become terrestrial towards the end of the summer. This is the cycle they follow in the wild. They require a winter cooling period at around 10C for a number of weeks if you want them to breed.

I raised many N.kaiseri last year and sold them for £15 each ($22). Considering how easy they are to breed no one should be selling them for more than any other Triturus style newt. No one will bother to smuggle a £15 newt out of Iran. Sadly they are still collected for the pet trade within Iran and no amount of cheap international cb kaiseri will change that.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Hopefully newt keepers in Iran will breed them and stop the need for collecting. Funny thing is I don't think I've even come across an Iranian newt keeper. Its a shame because they may know things that the researchers don't.

velasco13000

Reaction score
I first bred my kaisers last year and raised a good amount of larvae. They were not too hard to raise and were not too sensitive to water changes like other species. They eat well and thrive. They are a beautiful species. my male from last year didn't go into full breeding mode, I'm starting to think that it's important to move them to a terrestrial set up. I kept them aquatic all year long. how hard is it to maintain them terrestrial?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!