Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Name that floating aquatic plant.

M

mark

HI all, can someone name this plant so maybe I can research it. Its in my Hongkong tank, and is doing really well. It main plant has about a 4 inch tap/adventisious root system. Thanks.

32517.jpg

J

josh

i dont think its water lettuce. i used to have this plant...i totally forgot what it is...i was thinking frogbit...but frogbit has a heart shaped leaf

E

edward

Mike and Wyatt are correct it is water lettuce Pistia stratiotes

Ed

J

josh

i had a plant that looks very similar to that picture. it wasnt water lettuce. it did the same trailing growth with the pups but the leaves were flat and smooth on top and didnt get any bigger than an inch or inch and a half. the bottom surface of the leaf had small ges bubble chambers to allow floating. the growth wasnt from lack of light. i had it growing outdoors. does anybody know what this might be?? thats what i thought this was from the pic and its growth

J

josh

yep, thats it..i thought it was frogbit, but when i looked online to double check...i got something different. oh well

M

mark

Thats cool, will the water letuce flowers be noticible, when will it happen (about)?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1