Need Advice (Salamander)

Addy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I found this little salamander in my backyard in Michigan
I have no idea about salamanders but decided to try and keep him and do some research.
And more tips on care for him

I need help What kind??
He is Black with yellow dots all over

Attachments

• 20170923_102003.jpg
    20170923_102003.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 172
  • 20170925_092434.jpg
    20170925_092434.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 20170923_101951.jpg
    20170923_101951.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 131
He is definitly a type of mole salamander (a kind that likes to stay buried in leaf litter and moist soil). He looks like a tiger salamander because of his face and scattered spots, but he also looks a bit like a yellow spotted salamander. If you want to research him and how to care for him, you should look up tiger salamanders. There is quite a bit of information out there on them.

It's an Eastern tiger salamander, Ambystoma tigrinum. I have owned many of these- you could not ask for an easier, hardier first salamander. However they still have some very specific care requirements. Here are a couple of articles:
Caudata Culture Articles - Tiger Salamander 101
Tiger Salamander Care Sheet

Here are a few key points for keeping tigers:
- Keep them in a cool, moist environment
- Keep them well fed with live prey
- Give them lots of hiding places
- Do not handle them except when absolutely necessary, and do so only with clean hands; no bug spray, lotion, soap, perfume, etc.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back