Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need help ID’ing and care instructions

mmmmMike

Reaction score
E2E8662C-8CF0-4981-9E6A-E76EE97AF003.jpeg

I found this little guy in my basement a few days ago, and he looked like he’d been displaced and had had to find a quick place to curl up again. Lots of big wolf spiders hunt in my basement so I took him upstairs just in case he was at risk and bought small meal worms (in pic) in case he was hungry. I figure he’s probably in hibernation mode since it’s winter in Michigan. Does anybody know what kind of newt/salamander this is? And are these meal worms (in pic) appropriate food for this guy, or should I feed him something else? So far, he has ignored the worms I’ve dropped for him. I plan to release him under my front porch in the spring where our other resident wild newt/salamanders live. Any and all suggestions from the forum are welcomed and appreciated! Thank you for your help, and THANK YOU to the forum owners for having this website available as a resource!

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
Five-Lined Skink! It's a type of lizard common in Michigan. I'll get back to you with some basic care.
Try crickets, I've observed captive one go crazy over the ecstatic movement.

Check out ADW's page on these animals.
But a basic description I can give is...
1. 5gallon or 10gallon
2. forest floor or eco-earth ( some sort of tropic bedding) in a 1inch-ish layer
3. cork flat, fake plants, a rock to bask on
4. basking light
5. water bowl of course.

build it around your taste and what you find on the web, this is just a basis.
Good Luck,
Your Fellow Michigander, Jace!

Last edited:

mmmmMike

Reaction score
Thank you, Jace! What is ADW?

So far, he doesn’t seem interested in eating anything, but maybe because the smallest meal worms I could buy seem almost too big for him to fit in his mouth. I’m going to crush up a Michigan blueberry for him today and see if he has a sweet tooth haha. Otherwise, I’ll have to see what kind of insects I can find in the basement to throw his way for the time being, unless someone knows of appropriately sized food I can get him at a pet store. Thank you again for your help!!

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
Animal Diversity Web, its a database made by the University of Michigan. Spiders are probably what he was eating in your basement. Hopefully, he liked the berry. If you have a local pet store (not a Petco or PetSmart or Pet Supplies Plus) they should have pinhead cricket which are small and should be good for him.

mmmmMike

Reaction score
Animal Diversity Web, its a database made by the University of Michigan. Spiders are probably what he was eating in your basement. Hopefully, he liked the berry. If you have a local pet store (not a Petco or PetSmart or Pet Supplies Plus) they should have pinhead cricket which are small and should be good for him.
Awesome info - going to grab some pinhead crickets and see if this guy will eat them - thank you again!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1