Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Need help identifying an infection or illness

Maxolotl1

Reaction score
Hi guys. My axolotl's gills started getting that fluff on it. I was able to quarantine and remove it. Now I have noticed what looks like some sort of tumor. I'm rather paranoid about this. I've been testing the water/doing water changes. The water quality was good prior moving my axolotl back into the tank.

Can anyone help identify this? What should I do?

Attachments

• 20200309_210919.jpg
    20200309_210919.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 220

Maxolotl1

Reaction score
It has been a few days since the post, this thing has grown since then.

I don’t know if its bad or the gills regenerating. My axolotl seems to act normal other than that. Has a good appetite and all. She likes to hide in her cave a lot.

Maxolotl1

Reaction score
Lol I have tried. It actually brought me to this site.

It's kinda of difficult for me to navigate and find any answer.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you post a follow up picture?

TO search, go to the topmost green banner and click on "Search" . Fourth word from the right. YOu can put the word right in, it's very easy.

Maxolotl1

Reaction score
I tried to do a brief search on this forum I haven't seen anyone with this same issue. Not sure if its fungal or something. I've never seen gills regenerative so I don't know if that's what's happening.

It's a lot worse now. My axolotl doesn't seem to thrash around. Seems calm. Still has an appetite. I can feed her nearly everyday.

Maxolotl1

Reaction score
Here's the update photo.

Attachments

• 20200312_144607.jpg
    20200312_144607.jpg
    551.3 KB · Views: 123

Maxolotl1

Reaction score
In case anyone reads this...

My axolotl seems to be making an overall healthy recovery. The white stuff that was building up on the gills fell off. It was actually healing. It's kinda easy to mistake it for some type of fungal infection.

I guess the main differences I think helped determine that this was not a fungal infection are:

-Appearance: the gill regenerating was not fluffy white stuff building up. It was also not as opaque as the fungus.
-The gills were not further deteriorating.
-The way it targeted only the damaged parts of the gill and not spreading beyond that.

I hope this information helps someone in the future, because if you can't stop the infection in time, AND be sure it's not coming back(I thought it was), you can lose your little buddy really quick.

Attachments

• 20200315_160527.jpg
    20200315_160527.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 20200317_125747.jpg
    20200317_125747.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 136
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!