Question: Need help, spots on Axolotl?

Lo12

Reaction score
Country
United States
The picture below is of my axolotl, who has spots on him that almost look like holes. Wondering if this could be parasitic, another type of illness, or just an injury from something in his tank?
The spots also appear on his right side around the same spots as well as one on his midsection.
Any thoughts are appreciated!
2CA5E026-4141-459A-8695-D7120694C271.jpeg

Hi,
I I were you, I'd worry about its general bad health :
It's very skinny, it has a strongly reduced dorsal fin and almost no more gills.
Its position is also unnatural.
This animal needs to be fed a lot more to have a chance to recover..
These holes are only the last symptoms.

The patches kind of look like a tear in the skin maby? But yes it is very skinny and has hardly any gills id suggest feeding it a bit more... he dosent look to good :|

Hi,
I I were you, I'd worry about its general bad health :
It's very skinny, it has a strongly reduced dorsal fin and almost no more gills.
Its position is also unnatural.
This animal needs to be fed a lot more to have a chance to recover..
These holes are only the last symptoms.
I know he is in poor health, and I’ve been doing a lot to try and help him recover. I will try to feed him more often, but there are days where he won’t eat. I know he’s been very stressed at points so I have also done various things in order to lower his stress levels so he will eat more to gain weight. I know there are immediate things I can do to help him, but what makes me think there’s also something else is that he was in perfect health before my fiancé moved, and was fine for awhile after that, and seemed happier. We got a second axolotl about a month after my fiancé moved, and they lived fine together. We had some guppies in their tank, but removed them as they constantly bugged my leucistic and stressed him out, which is honestly where the gill loss started. Our second axolotl was a melanoid, but he got very sick and no matter how much I tried to feed him he never gained weight and eventually passed away.
I’m trying to do all I can in order to get him to gain weight. Currently he eats 3/4 to 1 whole night crawler depending on how big it is every 3-4 days (eats, 2 days digestion, eats again). I’ve been keeping this pretty strict schedule for awhile but If you have any advice on food or different ways to feed him/how often in order to get him to eat more it’s greatly appreciated.

I know this is a long reply but I’m just trying to give a clearer picture of the whole situation.

Sincerely sorry if I hurt you.
I didn't want to be rude.
Good luck

Last edited:
Sincerely sorry if I hurt you.
I didn't want to be rude.
Good luck
You’re fine, I just want to make it clear that I am trying all I can to help him

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back