Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need help with naming tadpole phenomenon

paris

Reaction score
I didnt want to post this in the scientific area in case it would exclude a valid insights from members who don't use that section. I am looking for the terminology for what are essentially leucistic neotenic/delayed development anuran tadpoles. using search terms of 'white tadpole' or 'silver tadpole' and metamorphosis or delayed development get me minimal results. I can only find a few posts/anecdotal references to this phenomenon -no scientific info/papers. so i am either no naming this right or it hasn't been studied.
I want to mention these are NOT albinos, and when it does occur it only affects 1% of the offspring. most references I have found mention that they fail to metamorphose, i have had both kinds in my Spea offspring. I did run across a mention of a link between pigment loss and delayed development but the poster's reference was to birds. does anyone know what other key words I can use to research this or know of a true name for it? or any papers?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I asked around the lab, and one of the Ph.D. students recommended having a look through the book "Amphibian Metamorphosis, From morphology to molecular biology" by Yun-Bo Shi, Ph.D.

I've got it sitting on my desk right now, and if I get a chance today or tomorrow (or maybe this weekend), I'll have a look through it and see if I can glean any info.

paris

Reaction score
delayed metamorphosis is an end product, i think i need to focus more at the other end. I was hoping for some obvious genetic link that i didnt know about. one deformity common to these is vestigial or reduced eyes, i have one morphed white one with no functioning eyes that has to be force fed. but this doesnt happen more than 15% of the time and it happens both to the pale whites and the 'partial whites'

paris

Reaction score
some photos of the tadpoles/morphs

here are a few photos of them-just in case someone wanted to see what I was talking about. in the group metamorph shot there is a normal phenotype in the foreground. The eyeless one can be seen on the far right in that photo. The one with the meta in my hand shows a slight abbreviated rostrum that occurs in some of these.

Attachments

• DSC02946.jpg
    DSC02946.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 605
  • DSC02909.jpg
    DSC02909.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,398
  • DSC02938.jpg
    DSC02938.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 735
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!