Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need opinions

freves

Reaction score
First I want to apologize ahead of time if this information is already in the archives, I have not had a lot of computer time these days. Anyway, I am finally planning on taking a big step into the world of modern photography and buying a digital camera. I know very little about them and am looking for recommendations. I do not plan on spending over 200-300 dollars (less would be even better). I want something that will take nice pics in general but will also take good closeups. In addition I would prefer a model that can be purchased at a local US store (Target, Best Buy, etc) so that I can use the store as a resource if necessary. Opinions?
Chip

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Canon Powershot digital Elph. It will take decent closeups. It's best feature is that it's very small, which is great for travel. It doesn't get the highest ratings among digicams, though.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
If you find such a camera then I say buy it, fot it will be a treasure indeed! You can get a camera that will "take nice pics in general" for 200-300 dollars. Good luck on the closeups though...

coendeurloo

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying the Nikon D40 as it is the 'first' budget DSLR cam, is anyone using this one for closeups?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're buying a DSLR then you don't worry about the camera for closeups, you worry about the lens.

freves

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I plan on shopping around for a while so please feel free to keep posting recommendations.
Chip

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was going to post almost this exact question. Did you ever buy a camera, and if so, what did you get and do you like it?

If a camera is "12x" does that mean anything about the quality of close ups, or only about bringing far away objects closer?
Dawn

MelanieK

Reaction score
You can do a ton of research about digital cameras online. I prefer this site: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs.asp
I use a DSLR, but for around 300 you can get a decent camera that should do close ups nicely as long as you have plenty of light. It's actually a lot easier to get nice close ups with the smaller digital cameras v. DSLR's because the lens is so close to the sensor which results in greater depth of field ( meaning more of your subject will be in focus )
The image linked below was taken with a little FujiFilm FinePix F10 Zoom that was around 300.
http://www.pbase.com/melaniekipp/image/48338577 ( Click on the photo itself to see more images from that camera )
We have a Canon Digital Elph that I like as well.

freves

Reaction score
I have not bought a camera yet. I was sidetracked and then consumed (not by choice) by my home renovations and addition. I do plan on starting the camera search again this fall. Maybe by then I will be able to post some pics of my animals in their new room.
Chip

PS - Thanks for the link Melanie

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
I have a PENTAX Optio W20 and it takes good shots and fairly good closeups. There is a setting on it that allows for manual zoom. This feature enables you to take superb shots of an object only .01 inches away. Plus it is waterproof! You can take pictures underwater! I haven't done that yet though.

Here is probably one of or the best shots I've gotten out of it of my mudpuppy (through the glass): http://www.caudata.org/photoplog/file_43.jpg

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll try that site. I tried searching "digital camera close up" and "digital camera macro" and didn't find anything helpul.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I went with a Kodak z712 with some macro attachments. Here are my first pictures (and I haven't really read the whole instruction book yet).

#3: "invisible piano" (inspired by the LOL cats)

Attachments

• 10sm.JPG
    10sm.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 442
  • 20sm.JPG
    20sm.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 382
  • 14sm.JPG
    14sm.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 389
  • 23sm.JPG
    23sm.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 380
  • x11sm.JPG
    x11sm.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 392

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
...Presenting LOL newts...

to quote my mom: You want to cry? Here's something to cry ABOUT!

Attachments

• xsushi1.jpg
    xsushi1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 403
  • xSushi2.jpg
    xSushi2.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 397
  • LOLbrij.jpg
    LOLbrij.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 401
  • LOLcountsto8.jpg
    LOLcountsto8.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 383
  • LOLhashejhog.jpg
    LOLhashejhog.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 464
  • LOLhats.jpg
    LOLhats.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!