Nelson, the spotless paddletail..

Derek

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been eye ballin this paddle tail for a while and asked the pet store stocker about the source and he didn't remember so I grabbed him up...His name is Nelson, I've had him since saturday and he's ate twice...:D Ive managed to get a few good pictures of him.....My final tank decorations are in place besides a few bulbs I dropped in there yesterday..Heres Nelson..He's fat..

Attachments

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Country
Canada
A number of tropical fish importers across the continent are providing wild-caught Hypselotriton orientalis, Paramesotriton chinensis, and Pachytriton granulosus from Zhejiang and Anhui, probably shipped out of Shanghai. Ultimately, they're probably all from only a couple sources and a very limited geographic area.

Yahilles

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Display Name
Janusz Wierzbicki
Thanks for uploading nice photos. Your animal has an interesting tank.
Hey FrogEyes, may i ask how have you tell this animal apart from P. labiatus?

dragonlady

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Shannon
I think number 4 is my favorite shot! Nelson looks like one very happy newt, Derek! :D

Derek

Reaction score
Country
United States
He's starting to hang out with the skull, lulz....Do you think I'm feeding him too much??? He looks fat, half a night crawler every three days?.?.?.? Anyway, I think he likes his new home..:D BTW, We are full cycled and at 17c....

Attachments

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
Eric is right, goldfish are not a suitable companion for your newts. They are messy and produce lots of pure ammonia. When they grow they could cause harm to your newts. If small enough to be eaten (paddletails are good fish hunters), they are a poor choice for food that can lead to problems.

There are a few species of small fish that are suitable for a caudate tank and make good food if caught, but certainly not goldfishes.

By the way, the crevice-like hiding spot is a great choice, you can see how he likes being hidden in a tight space. I would add more of those if i were you.

Derek

Reaction score
Country
United States
They are gold fish. I read an article about how goldfish would be fine, just no crayfish. I watch this tank constantly and neither have any interest in one another..there is 40 gallons of water in the aquarium...

Viv

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Alex
Could you post pictures of the whole tank please.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • MVM1991:
    As long as its cleaned yeah! You can even make overhangs if you have enough pieces to make nice caves and platforms
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Ok, thanks!
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    My pleasure! River rocks work well too, and go rather well with all kinda lung less salamanders,
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Great! I'll use some of those too. Thanks for the help. :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Tinky:
    So everywhere talks about testing your water parameters but I can't find what to do it there aren't right?! Like too low not too high, anybody any ideas?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    It’s very dry in Colorado. I make sure to spritz every night so while I’m sleeping. I have a nifty hydrometer that I got from Walmart. It tells me blue, green, red; too little humid, good, too much respectively. It’s been helpful to me.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    It tells me temperature AND humidity.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Where'd you get that? Or is it just a combo from petsmart or something?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I’m pretty sure I got it at a Walmart.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I just looked it up to see if I can find it again. It’s actually a hyGROmeter and temperature. Which measures the dew point. Here is the difference between due point and humidity. https://www.weather.gov/arx/why_dewpoint_vs_humidityYou can calculate Th relative
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    the relative humidity using the dew point measurement.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Here is the product I purchased:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    it has a stand. And I had a spare suction from my filter. So it’s on the wall of my Sal’s enclosure.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    That’s a pic of it in the enclosure.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Nice! Also, from what I can see you have an amazing setup! What species?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    S. S. Gigliolli
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Ooo nice!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Thank you! I tried to share the video but unsuccessful. You can see it on my IG story @jnerdx
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Cool! I just have a tiger and a long tail, who we are trying to find as he ESCAPED INTO MY ROOM!
    +1
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    Hey y'all, recently my juvenile axolotl's tail has been floating and can swim down but his tail lifts to an angle and I believe that it is stressing him out. He gets in between his plants to balance himself and I am cleaning out the bottom of the tank with my baster. I believe I overfed him and he also may have eaten many air bubbles. He's been like this for nearly 1 1/2 days.
    +1
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    What would be the best thing to do ?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Redear has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
    Chat Bot: Redear has joined the room. +1