Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Neotenic Laotriton?

matamander

Reaction score
Have you guys ever had/heard of neotenic Laotriton? Most of my larvae metamorphosed 2-3 months ago and this one is still living its best life aquatically. It’s also getting decently big at 2.5-3 inches (~6-7.5 cm), which is way bigger than the other larvae when they morphed.

C7320A4A-A19C-46CB-B06C-FF0F3520E0E8.jpeg

DartFrog180

Reaction score
I have no experience with this species, but in addition to the well know examples of neoteny/paedomorphosis in Ambystomatid salamanders (e.g., neotenic A. mexicanum, A. andersonii; paedomorphic A. tigrinum and A. talpoideum), some species/populations of Salamandrids (newts) have been shown to be capable of facultative paedomorphosis.

As with Ambystomatids (among which paedomorphosis is much more well studied), there are probably several environmental factors (such as readily available food, low density of conspecific individuals, water quality/chemistry etc) that provide developmental advantages to the larvae.. In turn, these can stimulate larvae to forego metamorphosis longer than normal.

Earlier this year I raised several tanks of emperor newts (Tylototriton shanjing) and 6-7 larvae had longer (~120-125 days) larval periods and were larger at metamorphosis than the rest (most of which metamorphosis in 85-95 days).

Nutshell is, since paedomorphosis is known in the family, it wouldn't be shocking in Laotriton, but since little is known about it, please share observations on these larvae as they develop.

This is a life history topic that has been studied in salamanders for a long time, but for which there is still quite a bit that can be learned (and something that caudate keepers could help shed light on).

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I've bred Laotriton for a long time and never had a neotenic one. I've had some that take longer to metamorphose but not that got quite that big. It takes several years for Laotriton laoensis to be sexually mature. It would't be considered neotenic or paedomorphic before it became sexually mature.

matamander

Reaction score
Aah ok so probably not neotenic then; just thought it was neat seeing how long it’s taken so far. There was one surprise larvae that was living with the adults so maybe this is that one (hatched a bit later than every one else). Then again, none of the larvae got this size 🤷‍♂️. I’ll post some updates if it stays in its larval form.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1