Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Neotenic Laotriton?

matamander

Reaction score
Have you guys ever had/heard of neotenic Laotriton? Most of my larvae metamorphosed 2-3 months ago and this one is still living its best life aquatically. It’s also getting decently big at 2.5-3 inches (~6-7.5 cm), which is way bigger than the other larvae when they morphed.

C7320A4A-A19C-46CB-B06C-FF0F3520E0E8.jpeg

DartFrog180

Reaction score
I have no experience with this species, but in addition to the well know examples of neoteny/paedomorphosis in Ambystomatid salamanders (e.g., neotenic A. mexicanum, A. andersonii; paedomorphic A. tigrinum and A. talpoideum), some species/populations of Salamandrids (newts) have been shown to be capable of facultative paedomorphosis.

As with Ambystomatids (among which paedomorphosis is much more well studied), there are probably several environmental factors (such as readily available food, low density of conspecific individuals, water quality/chemistry etc) that provide developmental advantages to the larvae.. In turn, these can stimulate larvae to forego metamorphosis longer than normal.

Earlier this year I raised several tanks of emperor newts (Tylototriton shanjing) and 6-7 larvae had longer (~120-125 days) larval periods and were larger at metamorphosis than the rest (most of which metamorphosis in 85-95 days).

Nutshell is, since paedomorphosis is known in the family, it wouldn't be shocking in Laotriton, but since little is known about it, please share observations on these larvae as they develop.

This is a life history topic that has been studied in salamanders for a long time, but for which there is still quite a bit that can be learned (and something that caudate keepers could help shed light on).

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I've bred Laotriton for a long time and never had a neotenic one. I've had some that take longer to metamorphose but not that got quite that big. It takes several years for Laotriton laoensis to be sexually mature. It would't be considered neotenic or paedomorphic before it became sexually mature.

matamander

Reaction score
Aah ok so probably not neotenic then; just thought it was neat seeing how long it’s taken so far. There was one surprise larvae that was living with the adults so maybe this is that one (hatched a bit later than every one else). Then again, none of the larvae got this size 🤷‍♂️. I’ll post some updates if it stays in its larval form.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    its around 3 small pieces in the tank. Since i've just moved homes, my axolotl is still at my old house. Yesterday i fed him bloodworms and he missed a few. I couldnt get them out without a turkey baster and decided to let them sit because i was gonna move him to the house tomorrow. But now its late and I dont have a car and my dad wont drive me. Will he be fine?
    +1
    Unlike
  • melon:
    I would think so i would just try to get them out tomorrow
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    yeah, im heading over tomorrow morning to move him to this house and feed him. Thanks for the help!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    So my axolotl tank cycle just crashed and while i was in the middle of a water change my bucket overflowed and spilled water all of the ground in my brand new home. This is going super well 👍
    +2
    Unlike
  • the:
    ooff
    +1
    Unlike
  • the:
    good luck recycling the tank!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roach:
    do the classifieds still exist?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roach:
    nevermind! off my game tonight
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    Im so frustrated right now. My axolotl WONT eat and my tank still isnt looking too good. Some extra stress i needed.
    +1
    Unlike
  • John:
    Sorry to hear that Shane. Did you post about it?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    No, I havent. Im not really sure why he wont eat. Hes in a 1 gallon tub and still a juvenile. When i offer food he swims away from it. Does he need some extra time? or is this something I should be worried about.
    +1
    Unlike
  • JulMl:
    Hello everyone! I’m new in this world and i need some advices please! I have 2 axolotl babies and currently the water from the tank is from bottled water ( all parameters are good) but i want to change 50% of the water with city tap water. My question is how to change it? Do i need to get axis out, do the change, add the prime, wait (how much?) until its dechlorinated or i can add the tap water directly into the tank with axis in it, and add the prime conditioner? Thank you!!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asmold1:
    1. You dont need to take them out of the tank to change the water as long as you pour it in slow as to not rattle them around too much
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asmold1:
    2. add the prime to your tap water, for most conditioners the consensus is 5 minutes of waiting time
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asmold1:
    3.After 5 minutes it should be safe to add
    +1
    Unlike
  • JulMl:
    Thank you so much !!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asmold1:
    I private messaged you a bit clearer instructions just in case
    +2
    Unlike
  • tammyaxie:
    Where can I get blackworms?
    +1
    Unlike
  • John:
    Ebay or Eastern Aquatics
    +1
    Unlike
  • noahc808:
    Does anyone know someone who can ship axolotls to hawaii? I recently did a water change and my axolotl died and there are no axos for sale right now.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    GadgetInspector has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    GadgetInspector has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Captive Bread has left the room.