Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Neurergus kaiseri started laying before cooling period

Willlis

Reaction score
I got everything setup to move my 1.1 Neurergus kaiseri to their cooling cage but when I went to pull them out I notice that the female was full blown volcano status and there were all ready eggs in the cage. The cage was in need of some serious plant trimming and I had been holding off to do it until after they were moved so I didn't realize they were laying. All of the eggs are white in color, maybe a little dark spot here or there. I pulled the eight eggs I could easily find but I don't know what a fertilized kaiseri egg looks like. These so far look just like the ones she laid last year that never developed. Any thoughts on what I should do are appreciated. I guess I won't be cooling them? Or should I try and see if that helps with fertility?

Sawyer

Reaction score
Sorry for not being able to answer this as of yet, but I am curious to others resolutions in situations like so. Hopefully a few members could assist with knowledge from their similar personal experiences.

Tim Robin

Reaction score
What is the current water temp? In my experience, N kaiseri do not need as drastic of a cooling period as N strauchii. I do no know of a direct correlation between cooling and fertility. I would leave them be and not mess with them since they are seemingly content and producing eggs.

Willlis

Reaction score
Current water temp is 65-68 F I can't really lower it much more than that where they are right now. I just didn't know if there was anything else I could do to help with fertility. I guess next year I'll try and cool them earlier. Time just got away from me this year.

browbli

Reaction score
I have seen this happen now for a couple years. You will not see the yeilds a chilled female will produce, but the eggs should still be viable,

Willlis

Reaction score
Well went I did my egg hunt tonight I found 2 larvae swimming in the cage with the adults but couldn't catch them. The eggs I pulled are developing and I found several eggs about to hatch that I moved as well as about a dozen other new eggs :D

Willlis

Reaction score
A picture of one of the babies out and about. I've seen them going after the little critters in the cage so it would seem they are eating. I've also got brine shrimp hatching every few days to supplement.

Hatchlingkaiseri_zps7e28e20c.jpg

XDragonGrlX

Reaction score
I just love these newts! Hope I am able to own some of my own some day soon. Congrats on the babies :)

Willlis

Reaction score
Update: The babies seem to be doing quite well. Several now have all four limbs and I think just about big enough to start really munching on blackworms. Till then its microfauna and BBS :D

gar4016

Reaction score
Congrats! I always find that once they start stalking and eating blackworms that growth really picks up.

Willlis

Reaction score
They are hard to get to sit still but most of the larvae are now right around this size. I did go through the main tank the other day and found some very small ones who were still hiding. They are now moved to another tank, but the rest are really munching down on live blackworms now. Its fun to see how much they have grown.

100_2033_zpsa05e29c1.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1