New addition; very speckled leucistic; Male or Female?

nina89

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi guys this is my new axie (7.5 inches), I got him from a local pet shop who gets his axies from a good local breeder, so he is very healthy. On the tips of his top gills ones bent forward the other backward, I think this is cause he has been nipped at before, He was in the tank at the store with a massive axolotl 7+ years the aquarium owner said and he was 30+ cm (largest I've seen in person, way overfed his belly double his head) which concerns me as there were some smaller axies approx 15cm.
Leucistics are my favourite, and this is the second i've seen in my area ever. I love his speckles they add so much character. I was worried he/she would lose them but I've read that they get more as they get older. My boyfriend suggested to call him/her bandit so far its stuck and obviously suits him/her.

My questions:
Male or Female? I though male at first cos he was thin and long but after fattening him/her up I think I have a female.
Is yellow pigment normal in leucistics? there are spots running down its side, heaps of them.
What colour should I breed him/her with to increase the chance of having similar coloured larvae?

Attachments

• 100_3494.jpg
    100_3494.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 2,094
  • 100_3486.jpg
    100_3486.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 620
  • 100_3501.jpg
    100_3501.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,379
I can't see a swollen cloaca, so I would be thinking either immature boy (at 7.5 inches they should be mature though) or more likely a girl.

she/he is lovely by the way, I love speckled leucustics

Last edited:
Sorry I'm not an expert, I just wanted to stop by to say that your Axie is lovely :) "Bandit" is perfect XD

Thanks guys, I agree with you helobed I think female too, so thats what i'm gonna stick with.
@ Neil. that made me laugh, I've always been jealous of your copper. I was atcually shopping for a copper, hoping i'd come across one cos thats another colour i've only seen once in my area but with no luck.

Can anyone explain the leucistic colour to me? I understand there white and have black eyes and sometimes black speckles because they still have black pigment but what is with the yellow dots down his side, I wasn't aware leucistics had colour other than white and black.

She's beautiful! :eek: I wish we had unusual axies like that in my area :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back