New Article: Calci Worms (Black Soldier Fly larvae)

evut

Reaction score
Country
Czech_Republic
Display Name
Eva
Thank you for the article.

I've had strange experience with Calci worms. The first time I got them for my caudates, they were white and soft, similar to waxworms. The second time - from the same supplier - light brown with hard shells which they seemed to shed all the time. The first type didn't seem to be a big hit with the animals and I didn't use the second type because they seemed too hard for caudates.
Are different species of insect sold as Calci worms or why were they so different?

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Eva,

Thanks for you note; glad you enjoyed. Interesting...I've come across brown pupae but not larvae of that color here in the US. But different species mat be available in the UK, sold under same name...I'll check with a contact and see if I can find any further info, Best, frank

tcbemis

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi... I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd give it a try. We've been purchasing both Calciworms and Reptiworms for you our A. Maculatum. They prefer the Calciworms for whatever reason, even though they smell like vinegar and are $3.99 for roughly 7 larvae (we're feeding 6, obviously that makes no sense and I don't know why Petco sells such small amounts). The Reptiworms are healthier looking and much more cost effective. We've been getting them online.
The reason some are black and some are cream colored is due to molting; they get nearly black before they molt, moving onto another "size".

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi... I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd give it a try. We've been purchasing both Calciworms and Reptiworms for you our A. Maculatum. They prefer the Calciworms for whatever reason, even though they smell like vinegar and are $3.99 for roughly 7 larvae (we're feeding 6, obviously that makes no sense and I don't know why Petco sells such small amounts). The Reptiworms are healthier looking and much more cost effective. We've been getting them online.
The reason some are black and some are cream colored is due to molting; they get nearly black before they molt, moving onto another "size".

Thanks very much for that info.

Seems very expensive...are you using earthworms as well?...always accepted, easy to rear and very good as a basis of the diet. Best, Frank

tcbemis

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, although they don't like the red wigglers, they prefer our (currently frozen) garden earthworms. But if we scald and cut the reds, they'll take them. ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • differencess:
    Daphnia water fleas, mosquito larvae and any larve will do
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lilith:
    Ok Thank You. ^-^
    +1
    Unlike
  • Austin Wayneg:
    I just got a tiger salamander and it's not eating
    +1
    Unlike
  • ArpTheAxolotl:
    Congrats. D6
    +1
    Unlike
  • SubZero:
    What are you feeding it
    +2
    Unlike
  • Austin Wayneg:
    Red worms
    +1
    Unlike
  • Audrey22:
    Try various foods to mimic a natural diet. If your worms are dead, try living things for sure. My newts prefer live food almost exclusively. My eastern newts eat snails, black worms, baby brine and others. They are like picky children. Maybe blood worms are their broccoli lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • rads:
    Hey there guys! My tank is cycled but I'm still battling ammonia spikes just when I get it down to zero. I keep the tank clean and do water changes when needed to lower it. Ammonia is about .25-.5 right now, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrate ppm. Not sure why two months in now it's still fluctuating?
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    @axolotl nerd, rads, the cycle has crashed or the tank wasnt fully cycled to start with. Remove the animals to a seperate tank or tub, give 100% daily water changes. It can take a while to cycle a tank if its yr first time.
    +2
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Hey guys! We had our first unexpected hot day and I was an idiot and forgot to put on the fan for my axolotl tank. When I came to feed her at around 7, I noticed the tank was 75 degrees!! It has never been this warm, it’s always a stable 67ish without a fan. It was only this warm for today (yesterday it was normal temps), and I immeditately got the fan on when I saw. It is down to 69 degrees now. Is my axie going to be ok with the increase in temperature for a day?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Oh that’s in Fahrenheit by the way, I think in Celsius it almost got up to 24 c if I’m not mistaken
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Axie is showing no signs of stress whatsoever
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    A short temp spike is unlikely to cause any long term probs