New Axie refuses food

sniffless

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello everyone. I stuck on many posts like the one i'm about to write, but still i'm a little bit concern.
I'm proud owner of beautiful Albino Axie named Medusa. She seems to be pretty happy, but is been four days since i introduce her to her aquarium and she still haven't eaten. I tried Axolotl frozen food, pellets which were recommended to me by the guy in the petstore, since he feeds his Axies with them. I even just hunt some earthworms from my garden, but she still refuses to feed. When i present the food to her she raises her head above the level of the food and slowly with the time steps back away from it. When i put her in the aquarium the first day, she bite half portion of the frozen food, but i think she spit everything out.
There is no signs of her being stressed as far as i know. Please note that all my knowledge is based on what i've read here and in Axolotl.org . Her gills are perfectly fine and her tail is smooth without any curves. She is around 3 inches long. The temperature of the tank is 18 degrees Celsius and the ph is 7.4 . I have provided filtration and hiding place. The only concern i have is that i don't have any ammonia testing kits and i didn't cycle the aquarium, since i wasn't aware of that. I do daily 20 % water changes and i treat the water with API Stress coat + as well as API Stress zyme + .

She seems to be mostly active during the night and really chill during day time. She got used to the tank pretty quickly i think. The first 12 hours she was sitting at one spot, but after that start exploring like a little soldier. Also when i picked up from the pet store, she just got delivered by mail or something like that, so i really don't know from how long she haven't eaten before that and how far away she is coming from...

Sorry for the long post, i'm just really concern about that stunning creature and don't wont to wipe her out in any way :( Thank you in advance.

have you tried hand feeding?

Anyway when i got my axie he took more than a week before he wanted to eat. I think it is very common for axies to take their time to get used to everything.

Yes i tried hand feeding as well as leaving the food infront of her for short periods of tine. Nothing seems to get hwr interested. I can clearly see that she is getting skinnier by now and i really dont know what to do... Im about to try feeding her again just now, so hopefully she will have appetite this time.

Blood worms and black worms

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back