New axolotl don't know what's best.

Whitey

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey everyone,
i just got an axolotl last week from my mates for my 21st. It died in the first 24 hours, no reason to explain. I got up in the morning and itw as swimming around alot trying to get out. It didnt even move the day before, so appaered strange. apparently at the shop it didnt either my mates who bought it said, but the guys in the shop gave that one. When i took it back to the shop the guy couldnt explain it, he did know what he was talkign about though so i trusted him. They gave me a new one, but i worry about it.
I have no idea the best ways to look after it. I read online about tank set up water etc, but when i went to the pet shop to ask they had a bowl on the desk with just fake plants. They said there's no need for filters etc. I dont exactly know the size of the bowl but its not big, was from hotdollar haha, maybe.. 20 litres? ill check later if needed. I use water ager to clean the water and just regular tap water (though this college tap water we believe is dangerous haha).
Last night my new axolotl appeared t be trying to get out like the other and i was gettingn worried might day. it was fine this mornign though. Hgowever past days it has formed a white spot on the back of its neck, its just flat though, is this something to worry about? and it wouldnt eat last night or this morning. I feed it crickets as was told by the shop.
Thanks

please read through the site for suitable care for axolotls

you need to treat the water! probably that's why its trying to escape!

use a dechlorinator asap, then read about the requirements in the site

water ager is a dechloronator. I cleaned the bowl last night, the shop said only a thrid of the water needs to be removed, but this water got fairly dirty. one of the plants seems to have rotted. i'm gonna go in today and ask them to check the water.

Thanks guys,
Went to the shop today and got some other stuff for the water and fake plants. chucked out the others and just changed the water.
Also got some beef heart for the axolotl which it ate happily.
so hopefully all good now

don't feed him beef heart regularly

try to give him earthworms (be sure that they don't have pesticides or anything like that) or axolotl pellets

i know it might sound a little harsh but i think you should take him/her back to the pet shop. i mean a bowl isnt a nice home for a axolotl they need at least a 2foot tank. A proper set up is needed and a good filter to since they are very messy eaters and make the water dirty fairly quick. hiding places and cold temptures since they are mostly active at night.

You should definitely get your water tested asap, as it sounds to me like your tank/bowl has not been cycled. You could be unintentionally killing your axolotl with high levels of ammonia and nitrite. As the others have suggested, you should look more thoroughly into the proper care of your new pet.
Also, while an individual axolotl doesn't require a lot of space, it still would be best to upgrade to a larger habitat with a filter that doesn't create too much of a current.

You dont want to be keeping an axolotl in a bowl. a 2ft long tank about 60lts would be minimum for one axie but a full grown axolotl may require bigger like a 3ft tank. Dont listen to what people in shops tell you, crickets are fine as a treat (must be gutloaded and calcium dusted as they have very little nutrients on their own so pretty useless) earthworms should be a staple diet. Also a filter is essential as axies are very messy (just a small one will do as water flow/current can stress them) also temperature is very important 16-18degress is a comfortable temp for an axie anything over 22deg and you axie could start showing signs of illness so a thermometer is very important. I trust you are not using gravel? also this white spot, we will need pictures to diagnose that one! Unfortuantly I have to agree with xblind2itallx's last post, you will be best off returning the axie, getting an appropriate set up together and letting it cycle before getting the axie back in there as it is obviously not liking it in your "bowl" if is trying to escape. If you get a new tank and cycle it first, the axie will be able to enjoy nice stable water parameters and should thrive! A small bowl as described just wont work, bowls are not even suitable for fish the curved sides stress them out!

Thanks guys for all these suggestions and help. I didn't know w thing about them. The way the guys in the shops made it sound to my mates who told me made them sound a lot simpler and easier to look after than they should be.. however they are petshop workers and even if they seem to know alot. i dunno. haha.
Yeah i have a proper tank with a filter and thermometer etc at home because i used to have some fish. However the semester is nearly finishing so i have a tonne of work and stuff to catch up on for exams etc. I have been trying to find time to go home and get it, however i only have a month left and thougght i could wait until when i get home to fix it all up. I feel bad about that though. I worry the axolotl is stressed/unhappy. so probs might return it before i have the tank. What are they like in a car trip for like 3 half hours? After being on planes from singapore should be ok?
I'm pretty sure the water temperature is fine. In canberra so its cold and ill grab a thermometer just to check tonight incase.
About the gravel. there aer large ones in it. too big to swallow. Again, mates got it before they/I knew anything about caring for them.
Yeah I rinsed the bowl out a few times.
It's the coolest/best thing anyones given me however unfortunately I didnt know a thing about them. Have to get prepared for it properly.

hey

They didn't came in planes, they are bred locally... I think a trip in a car may be tough but some people did it successfully I think, you can search on the forums how they did it

how big is the axie?

hey

They didn't came in planes, they are bred locally... I think a trip in a car may be tough but some people did it successfully I think, you can search on the forums how they did it

how big is the axie?

Large plastic bag of water, Axolotl inside. Bag placed n medium sized round food container, packed on all sides by other bags full of ice and water. Food container filled with water, covered. Axolotls transported.

That's the new way, at least.

Before that, I'd just put them in a large round food container, fill it, cover, and cut holes in top. It must have been an exciting trip for them, but it worked.

Yo, your axie should be fine travelling if you follow the advice above, main consideration is keeping the temp down as you down want him overheating in the car! Apart from correctly packing him and the obvious trying not to bounce about too much a 3hr trip should be fine alot of people seem to travel that sort of distance just to get their axie a vet who knows what theyre talkin about!

Dont get disheartened, axies are very easy to keep once you get their initial set up sorted! Just a nice big tank, filter, sand a cave and you have an ideal set up, as you can probably tell by now it pays to do abit of research before getting an animal as you can avoid costly mistakes and risking the life of a poor little axie, Im glad you have realised you may have made a mistake and want to do whats best, I hope it all goes well in the end for you and your axolotl!

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back