New axolotl owner looking for advice

MD02

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi guys,
Thank you for accepting me onto the forum!!

Today I picked up two juvenile axolotls after having spent the time since Christmas setting up a tank, letting the water cycle etc.
I've had a quick look at some other posts and links but haven't quite been able to find what I'm looking for, so I hope I'm not double posting!!

1. I've attached a picture of one of the two (yet to be name), both of them are about 2.5-3 inches long, and I am told they are around 4 months old. I was just wondering if their limbs are at a normal growth state? They were kept in an approximately 90cm long tank with around 30-40 others, but all of them seemed the same in this regard. (Also if anyone knows what this colour is called I'd appreciate the advice :) )
2. They've been in the tank for about 3 hours so far and have started to explore a little bit. I have noticed both of them going up for air a few times. The water parameters are fine except for the temperature (currently hovering around 23°C [I've just ordered an aquarium fan as for some reason I didn't think that the Australian summer would raise the water temperature too 🤦🏼‍♀️]). The tank has numerous plants and a filter too. Do you think I should look into getting an air pump / stone / bubbler?

I'm sure I'll have more questions in the very near future, but I'd appreciate any advice at all!
Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_6170.JPG
    IMG_6170.JPG
    239.8 KB · Views: 1,267
The colour is a wild type (I think). If they go up for air a lot maby get a bubbler, but sometimes axolotls are scared of them so if you notice them getting scared take it out (I have a air bubbler, my axies love it). Looks like he is missing his fingers and toes...

Pic attached of a normal axie foot

Attachments

• WIN_20220124_11_16_48_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220124_11_16_48_Pro.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 89
The colour is a wild type (I think). If they go up for air a lot maby get a bubbler, but sometimes axolotls are scared of them so if you notice them getting scared take it out (I have a air bubbler, my axies love it). Looks like he is missing his fingers and toes...

Now that they're in a bigger tank and there are less of them (2, not 40) should they grow back?
Is it unusual that all of them are missing fingers and toes from all their legs??

Well because they are young I would say the other 40 in the tank would have nipped them of because young axies tend to eat other axies limbs. They should grow back but I'm not sure. It is not unusual for axies that come from a pet shop to be missing limbs, don't worry.

Hi guys,
Thank you for accepting me onto the forum!!

Today I picked up two juvenile axolotls after having spent the time since Christmas setting up a tank, letting the water cycle etc.
I've had a quick look at some other posts and links but haven't quite been able to find what I'm looking for, so I hope I'm not double posting!!

1. I've attached a picture of one of the two (yet to be name), both of them are about 2.5-3 inches long, and I am told they are around 4 months old. I was just wondering if their limbs are at a normal growth state? They were kept in an approximately 90cm long tank with around 30-40 others, but all of them seemed the same in this regard. (Also if anyone knows what this colour is called I'd appreciate the advice :) )
2. They've been in the tank for about 3 hours so far and have started to explore a little bit. I have noticed both of them going up for air a few times. The water parameters are fine except for the temperature (currently hovering around 23°C [I've just ordered an aquarium fan as for some reason I didn't think that the Australian summer would raise the water temperature too 🤦🏼‍♀️]). The tank has numerous plants and a filter too. Do you think I should look into getting an air pump / stone / bubbler?

I'm sure I'll have more questions in the very near future, but I'd appreciate any advice at all!
Thanks!!

It's been a month so I thought I'd attach some pictures of my two now (to make it easier to track leg growth progress) :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 9.26.24 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 9.26.24 pm.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 80
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 9.26.41 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 9.26.41 pm.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 81
looks like they are coming along brilliantly,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back