Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axolotl owner questions

Jonny Doum

Reaction score
Hello! New to axolotls. Just yesterday I picked up a small (maybe 2.5 inch) axolotl.

I have the tank in the ammonia adding stage of cycling and the axolotl is tabbed. Going to do daily cold water changes, it has a bubbler, and I added a tiny amount of dechlorinator and prime conditioner to the tub.

I noticed that the gill feathers are basically burned off; probably from ammonia levels in the tank at the store. It was also in a tank with not so fine sand.

I have given it blood worms but have not noticed it eat at all, also haven't noticed any poop. Don't know if its stress from the last 2 days or (hopefully not) impacted from the original sand at the store. It doesnt move a ton, but does end up in different parts of the tub when I'm not looking.

Any suggestions on what else to do? Should I be concerned about the lack of feeding?

Attachments

• 20200510_123359.jpg
    20200510_123359.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 212
  • 20200511_193141.jpg
    20200511_193141.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 120
  • 20200511_193803.jpg
    20200511_193803.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 114
  • 20200510_161031.jpg
    20200510_161031.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 109

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Oh I wish I could give you more advice, I have a 2 year old one I got from my friend, we just transferred her into a much larger tank and it did take her 2 days to adjust and come out of her hide away. Has your axolotl improved?

I try to feed mine once a day, but only a little, I give her a single teeny worm a day, sometimes two, but I also have some axolotl pellets my friend ordered. I've had her since February and she knows me from coming over because she usually swims out to greet me when I come down, so yours may just need some time to get used to you, your sounds, all that.

But yes, any improvement?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1