New axolotl refusing to eat for almost a week

Kaiiak

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please help. They are about 11 months old. Have refused to eat red wigglers (know they taste/smell bad), bloodworms, pellets that they were eating with their breeders and Canadian worms cut up. Took a worm piece once and immediately spit it out. They’re being tubbed, water changed 100% daily, conditioned with prime, two mason jars in tub. I have been removing food so ammonia does not spike. Please help I am worried. Breeder says I am not doing anything wrong. They do not appear distressed. 😭😭😭

Please help. They are about 11 months old. Have refused to eat red wigglers (know they taste/smell bad), bloodworms, pellets that they were eating with their breeders and Canadian worms cut up. Took a worm piece once and immediately spit it out. They’re being tubbed, water changed 100% daily, conditioned with prime, two mason jars in tub. I have been removing food so ammonia does not spike. Please help I am worried. Breeder says I am not doing anything wrong. They do not appear distressed. 😭😭😭
Any photos? How long have you have them?

Tomorrow will be one week. The white one ate a tiny bit of a tubifex worm cube yesterday but that is the only success I’ve had. Just moved them to their tank (it finally cycled) this morning. Waiting for them to adjust before attempting to feed them again. Also working on getting their chiller set up, for now they have an aquarium fan.

Attachments

• D3E6E045-EFD2-453C-AC59-71DC0C118BA3.jpeg
    D3E6E045-EFD2-453C-AC59-71DC0C118BA3.jpeg
    1,015.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 4FAB91BA-EB18-461B-B20A-D437CBFEFB99.jpeg
    4FAB91BA-EB18-461B-B20A-D437CBFEFB99.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 95
Tomorrow will be one week. The white one ate a tiny bit of a tubifex worm cube yesterday but that is the only success I’ve had. Just moved them to their tank (it finally cycled) this morning. Waiting for them to adjust before attempting to feed them again. Also working on getting their chiller set up, for now they have an aquarium fan.
Did you just get them? They may be getting used to the new tank.

Yes I did. Just put them in the tank with the chiller hopefully that works.

A week with no food is really not a huge concern yet. They both appear to be a healthy weight so I wouldn't panic yet. The stress of travel can be a big factor. Redwigglers or european nightcrawlers are the most nutritionally balanced. You can counter the bad taste/smell of red wigglers by rinsing them in hot water or blanching them first. Axolotls are opportunistic feeders...when they get hungry enough, they will eat. Just keep monitoring your water chemistry like you are and they should settle down.

Thank you so much! The white axolotl is eating but the other still has not! Hopefully soon!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back