Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New axolotl + Tankmates - Gender

Axie123

Reaction score
I posted a while ago wondering the genders of my axolotl's, im still unsure however i have taken a much clearer picture of my albino (Nando) who seems much more prominent be him/her a she or he.

I also have a new axolotl (Dark blacky brown wildtype) living with my other 2:happy:

My question is the gender, but also just posting pictures of my axolotls too.. :)
And any gender behavioural differences, my wildtype (paler of the two has a very large head)

Thankyou

Attachments

• IMG_2321.JPG
    IMG_2321.JPG
    304.5 KB · Views: 2,142
  • IMG_2319.JPG
    IMG_2319.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 892
  • IMG_2303.JPG
    IMG_2303.JPG
    239.7 KB · Views: 832
  • IMG_2186.JPG
    IMG_2186.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 593
  • IMG_2184.JPG
    IMG_2184.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 1,685
  • IMG_2183.JPG
    IMG_2183.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_2140.JPG
    IMG_2140.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 1,164
Last edited:

lea

Reaction score
How old are they?? They look too young to sex yet :(. It is really hard to tell sex until they are about 12 - 18 months old.
I had a what I thought was a lovely little girl Abby and um well he had to live with a girlie name.

Sanne

Reaction score
The white and black looks like boys...
Purhabs the wild one is a little girl...

But I am not quite sure.

zoezakella

Reaction score
The lighter wild looks female to me, the darker wild also female (but due to her size I would not guarantee this) as for the albino you ideally need a side view rather than underneath, your axie does appear to have a bulge but also its cloaca looks a bit open so its hard to say either way on that one!!

Females are also more rounded when you look directly down on them!

What sizes are they in inches??

Axie123

Reaction score
The dark wildtype is about 4-5 inches ( looks the same as my older wildtype so far..)
the larger wildtype 6-7 inches (thought to be female - has an extremely large head in comparison to my other 2)
albino is about 5-6 inches (this one is the oldest, the wildtype was originally a bit smaller but has outgrown the albino quickly, not sure why)

:)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!