New axolotls not pooping?

Sarahaney6

Reaction score
Country
United States
Its been six days since I brought my two axolotls home and I still haven't seen either one of them poop. The breeder kept them in bare bottom tanks and they are currently on play sand in a fully cycled tank. Temp is steady at 65 degrees. There's nothing in there that they could have ingested other than food. They are eating blood worms like no ones business and I've been trying to get them to eat night crawlers but so far all the chunks have been spit out or regurgitated later on. These are my first axies so I'm not even sure what to look for (poopwise) but I've been told its very noticible and that they poop a LOT.... But I've definitely not seen any. What do you guys think is going on?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Its been six days since I brought my two axolotls home and I still haven't seen either one of them poop. The breeder kept them in bare bottom tanks and they are currently on play sand in a fully cycled tank. Temp is steady at 65 degrees. There's nothing in there that they could have ingested other than food. They are eating blood worms like no ones business and I've been trying to get them to eat night crawlers but so far all the chunks have been spit out or regurgitated later on. These are my first axies so I'm not even sure what to look for (poopwise) but I've been told its very noticible and that they poop a LOT.... But I've definitely not seen any. What do you guys think is going on?

Is there anything in the tank the poops can be hiding in or behind? Sometimes I won't see any poops for a few days, then when cleaning the tank I will find a pootopia stash behind some rocks or something.
Do they look like they are getting all bloated from not pooping?

I've checked all the hidey holes and sifted the sand.... Still NOTHING ?

Can anyone confirm that this is in fact poop?
342baba18502604a6e9e8baadff1685e.jpg

It very well could be. Stellys is usually not as dark but it can be quite the log!!! Yaaaaay poopies!!! If you use a turkey baster to get it out and it disintegrates, it's a poop! Lol.

My adult axolotl has gone close to 2 weeks between poops before. That looks like a nice big lotl log to me. Looks like things are moving on out!

I never thought I would be so happy to clean up poop! Found more today ? Couldn't be happier!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back