Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New C. Orientalis/ H. Orientalis

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
So I decided and got a Chinese Fire-Belly Newt that looked overall pretty good and is pretty active. It's an aquatic adult. I have it in a 10 gallon tank with some fake plants, java moss, and java fern, I will be removing the fake plants when i get more real ones later this week. I have had it for about a week tops. But I'm worried because so far it has rejected any food ive tried giving it, like chopped up nightcrawler, decapitated mealworms, "Newt & Salamander Bites" which are what my Pleurodeles Waltl and Ambystoma Mexicanum both usually eat, unless i give them nightcrawler, and as a last resort I've tried Freeze-Dried Tubifex Worms. I don't have any places to get daphnia, blackworms, whiteworms, etc. I think i should try wax worms and/or Frozen Blood Worms though.
Any Suggestions about the tank, food, or any opinions of the newt overall condition. Please tell me if im doing anything wrong, thanks.

Attachments

• unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 188
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 199
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 166
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 171
  • unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 181

bichogrilo

Reaction score
While not good as a complete food mine never turn down frozen bloodworms. Really small whole earth worms work well too. Mine also like wingless fruit flies which I put on the waters surface and they hunt them down. A pity you can't get the other bugs you mentioned as they are all well liked foods .
I wouldn't get to stressed initially as there can be a settling in period where they don't eat. Give it an undisturbed environment to live in for a few days.
Did you cycle the tank?

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Yeah, the tank is cycled. I'll probably pick up some frozen bloodworms when I go to get plants. I'll leave him alone for awhile and try the bloodworms later then. Thanks

AeonMapa

Reaction score
You should put in a lot of live plants. Maybe 3 times the amount of those fake plants as live plants instead.

Good news, your newts look quite healthy, so they must've been well cared for at the pet store. The might not be hungry, also newts get stressed when being transferred to a new home so they might not eat for a while. They can go up to a month without eating.
Try to leave the food after lights out as this is their natural feeding time. They might eat better when you're not watching

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1